Author Topic: Have to get my CCNA...any advice?  (Read 195 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Have to get my CCNA...any advice?
« on: May 06, 2006, 03:13:50 AM »
My employer is requesting that I get my CCNA.  I haven't studied Cisco routers in 4 years and I have an old CCNA simulator software that I used in school.  Anyone else going through the steps to get their CCNA?  Any help in this regard will be much obliged.  

Oh yea, "supposedly" my company will re-imburse me for cost to get this done but right now I will have to buy my study and qualification materials.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 04:29:18 AM »
CCNA is a joke.

Buy a book on it, just one book, even the 'CCNA for Dummies' will suffice.  Once youve learned the Cisco O/S commands pay close (and I mean close) attention to subnetting.  Once you know subnetting backwards forwards and sideways go take the exam.

Do NOT be tempted to pay for one of those 'boot camp' thingies you'll see advertised.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:57:34 AM »
Cool.  Thanks, man.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 06:55:42 AM »
CCNA is good for a grounding in networking. The hard part is if you are new you'll need some of the virtual router labs unless you have access to some routers kicking around. If you can do CCDA its also good for a grounding knowledge in networks design/implimentation.

I actually like it, its not too cisco'ish (until you hit CCNP).

I'd pay close attention to subnets, VLANs, QoS, and the OSI model (with regards to the differences betwen L3 and L7). Big technology 'areas of interest' for me/my clients at the moment are VLANs for VoIP and security segregation; QoS for VoIP (although we don't sell underspec'd cisco gear so its no much of an issue for us) ; L7 firewalling and traffic shaping.

If you want valued skills in networking I look at it this way : Cisco for Switches (most switch vendors base their cli on cisco'ish commands) ; Juniper for Routers ; Sonicwall or Juniper for firewalls (I'd consider cisco security certs completely worthless - what good are certs in security from the company with the worst gear and practises).

ps hi honey ;)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:33:12 PM »
Thanks for the additional advice.  I dug through my old training software and found my copy of CCNA Virtual Lab Gold edition by SYBEX.  Better than nothing I guess.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 07:34:47 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
ps hi honey ;)

Do wha....?????