Author Topic: Ground Guns Available in the Terrain Editor  (Read 698 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Ground Guns Available in the Terrain Editor
« on: May 07, 2006, 02:48:33 PM »
Understanding Ground Guns Available in the Terrain Editor

Of all the possible combinations, only the three in bold are the ones to use and clearly it's not a good idea to leave any gng0, gng1 or gng2 as any of the Gun Batteries since they will crash the game.

Object Types
--------------------------------------------------------------
Default Hardness| |0.0187 |0.3906 |0.0062 |3.9062 |0.3906 |0.0062 |0.0187
|Object |Gun |Gun |Gun |Hard |Armord |Auto |Hard
|Shapes |Bat |Bat |Bat |Gun |Auto |Gun |Auto
| | |Armor |Soft |Bat |Gun |Gun
--------------------------------------------------------------
Shore Battery |battery|g1 /SB8|g1 /SB8|g1 /SB8|[b]g1 /SB8[/b]| i / - | i / - | i / -
8" gun |bah0*|grF/h8 |grF/h8 |grF/h8 |gF /h8 | i / - | i / - | i / -
37mm gun |bas0 |gs /H37|gs /H37|[b] G /H37[/b]|gs /H37| i / - | i / - | i / -
88mm Flack |gng0 |i / C |i / C |i / C |i / C | G / - | [b]G / -[/b] | G / -
37mm gun |gng1 |i / C |i / C |i / C |i / C | i / - | i / - | i / -
Quad 20mm |gng2 |i / C |i / C |i / C |i / C | i / - | i / - | i / -

Legend
[Gun Status] / [Hanger Status]

Key
G   = Gun works
g1  = Gun view from above the Shore Battery
gr  = Gun Room (none of the gun room views work)
gF  = Gun Failure (shell explodes inside gun)
grF = Gun Room but firing self destructs
gs  = Gun Failure (no sound)
i   = Inactive

H   = Hanger works
C   = Game Crashes anytime you try to go to the hanger
SB8 = Shore Battery icon 8"
h8  = Hanger view shows an 8" gun
H37 = Hanger view shows a 37 mm gun

If the bold face guns don't show in the hanger it probably doesn't have the right field or zone number.
Tip: If you want to change a gun from one Object shape to another, open it's properties window
and then Click the shape you want in the regular Object window. The property shape will change.

* The bah0 shape looks the same as the battery shape BUT shows and an 8" gun in the hanger
While it has the internal Gun Room view you want, all bah0 fail to work at this time

« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 03:02:37 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 04:45:42 AM »
Still having trouble with the Manned guns?

You have two good methods available for setting ack.  You can build a base or factory using the OE and place them directly into the field shape or you can add manned ack using the TE.

The key is to know which guns you can use and what Object type they need to be.

For a shore battery, set the Object Shape = battery and set the Object Type = Hard Gun Bat.
For a manned ack, set the Object Shape = bas0 and set the Object Type = Gun Bat Soft.

Nothing else works correctly in v2.07 patch 2 per the chart above.

Remember, if you do NOT use the OE to set your manned ack or shore battery, you must set the Object Type in the properties dialog box in the TE when you set the field and zone ownership.

Also, for AI Ack, you must use the OE, not the TE. Set the Object Shape to gng0, gng1 or gng2 and set the Object Type to Auto Gun.  You can build a freestanding AI Ack in the OE and make it available in the TE but a single gun causes graphics anomalies such as a light blue terrain tile underneath it so don’t do it.

If using the TE to place your manned ack or shore battery, be sure to save, exit and relaunch the TE before building your terrain.  Occasionally you might have to clear your cache folder, particularly if you mix OE built ack with TE build ack.  I think they sometimes don’t show up correctly in the hanger unless you save and exit before you build the terrain.

Also, the first time you use ack at a base where you mixed OE built and TE built guns, expect one of the Labels not to show up.  You’ll see the yellow circle just not the label.  Just switch fields and when you go back to the problem field the labels will all function in the hanger.  As often as not this completely clears things up.

Another curious thing about manned ack.  If you shoot the ack circle base, you’ll destroy the gun and end up in the tower.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 09:54:05 AM »
Nice tutorial, hopefully it will teach some newcomers things about the OE and TE. One thing though. AI ack is gng0 and gng2. Gng1 was supposed to be "manned ack" but it doesent work, that's where bas0 comes in.:aok
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare:
http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
Join our TeamSpeak server, Click Here.

New forum ID: Denholm

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:46:28 AM »
Originally posted by Bogie603rd
Gng1 was supposed to be "manned ack" but it doesent work...
False.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 12:12:14 PM »
Yeah, i'm guessing im glad I brought your attention to it:aok

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 12:27:15 PM »
You don't understand, the gng1 works exactly as it's supposed to, always has.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 12:29:41 PM »
Ooh, then I must've gotten gng1 and gng2 confused. Cause one of the two doesent work as an AI gun.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 03:34:41 PM »
gng0, gng1 and gng2 are all AI guns... Bas0 is the manned gun position.

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 09:40:30 AM »
well, one of the selections, either gng1, or gng2 (can't remember) never works for me when being placed as an AI gun. Might just be my problem.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 10:12:00 AM »
If you review the table above, you'll see that gng1 and gng2 are both inactive in the TE. Not only that, they crash the game at some object type settings.

Again if you read the table you'll see there is only one AI gun, gng0, that works in the TE in the current version of AH.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 11:17:18 AM »
I was mentioning the OE, not the TE.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 02:04:44 PM »
So,

If I understand this information correctly (and I am not sure I do), can you build ack around a base, or must all the ack be on the field?  It's been about a year since I used the TE and haven't used the OE.  Can you add AI 37mm ack and disable all 88mm?  

The ability to add plenty of 37mm ack and disable the 88mm is one of the short comings (from my perspective) of the previous TE.  Everything needed to be on an object, such as an airfield, and that airfield was going to have 88mm ack which could not be disabled.

My apologies if this is a question easily answered in some FAQ or 'sorta common knowledge'.  Any pointers or good search engine keywords are appreciated if that is the case.

Regards,

Malta

p.s. My goal is to build a 32 member fighter town.  Previous attempts were foiled by the types of AI ack that had to be on the airfield (or nearby factory, etc.).   I want to make the H2H semi public, and there are *always* vulchers in the crowd.  I want to make a vulch free field.  This was *almost* available before except 88mm could not be disabled and tended to kill friendlies.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 02:56:09 PM »
Originally posted by stantond
"So,

If I understand this information correctly (and I am not sure I do), can you build ack around a base, or must all the ack be on the field?  It's been about a year since I used the TE and haven't used the OE.  Can you add AI 37mm ack and disable all 88mm?"

88mm AI Flak, gng0 37mm AI guns, manned 37mm and Shore Batteries can be set anywhere using the TE but if you want to have fields without 88mm Flak you must build a new Airfield using the OE.  I haven't checked to see if the latest release, v2.08 patch 0, changed anything but I don't expect any changes except to the Shore Batteries.

Edit: Oops, I belive gng1 and gng2 can be set as "Auto Gun" and I have an error in my table. :(

If all you want is a fighter town, destroy the flak guns, set the downtime mulplyer to max and up the object hardness to indistructable settings to protect the hangers, field ack and strat, save your settings for reuse. That's much easier and quicker on a small H2H map then building a whole new terrain.;)

"The ability to add plenty of 37mm ack and disable the 88mm is one of the short comings (from my perspective) of the previous TE.  Everything needed to be on an object, such as an airfield, and that airfield was going to have 88mm ack which could not be disabled.

My apologies if this is a question easily answered in some FAQ or 'sorta common knowledge'.  Any pointers or good search engine keywords are appreciated if that is the case.

Regards,

Malta

p.s. My goal is to build a 32 member fighter town.  Previous attempts were foiled by the types of AI ack that had to be on the airfield (or nearby factory, etc.).   I want to make the H2H semi public, and there are *always* vulchers in the crowd.  I want to make a vulch free field.  This was *almost* available before except 88mm could not be disabled and tended to kill friendlies."

The maximum player count in H2H is 8, not 32.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 03:40:51 PM »
Hmm, ok, so you can destroy *just* the 88mm field ack?  I was unable to do that in an earlier version.  Simple is better.  If there is no need to create a new airfield, or factories, or towns, etc but the 88mm can be disabled that would certainly work.

Before, there was no way to disable 88mm.  I'll check that ability on the latest releases.  However, and maybe this is  where the confusion starts... the 37mm ack has to be enabled.  What would be optimal is to set all ack on the field to AI 37mm (including manned ack) but I think that would require a new airfield object.

I expect based on past experience that I'll end up building an airfield to get what I want.  However, I'll definatly try all the simple solutions first.

Thanks,

Malta

p.s. H2H used to be 32 persons when using a registered version (i.e. the person hosting pays).  I guess that changed.  Unfortunately, it looks like I am one of the few people in the game who want's a fighter town.  Been trying to do this for years with no success.