Author Topic: P38J V Ki61 and nikkis  (Read 566 times)

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:53:59 PM »
Hi guys
Looking for some quick tips from the 38 guys in fighting the 61 and nikki at alt.
The snaphot on Wednsday features the above and I've Never really flown the 38 before, so any tips/hints would be  welcome !

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:33:48 PM »
Keep fast and accurate! Good luck and

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:08:16 PM »
Sweet i hope i can make that Snapshot I love that KI61. Your only chance is to outrun us with high alt speed advantage well the 61 at least. :) Watch out for our 2 nose cannons hehehe. PLus, the 61 can hold E better than a Spit16. Problem for us is getting it hehehehe.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:02:11 AM »
Fight the Ki-61 like you'd fight a C.202/205 or bf109E and if you get in trouble, just go into a shallow dive and extend away.  Ki-61 can't keep up with the P-38.

As for the N1K2, keep the speeds out of the medium range area.  Keep the fight above 300mph (IAS) and you'll be able to easily turn with the N1K2.  If you can't fight it at high speeds, fight it at low to stall speeds and use the vertical whenever possible.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:48:28 PM »
whats the dive speed of the P38J I can usualy get the 61 to 525mph in a steep dive before i have to pull up. Also for the NIK when he meens vertical do not try to loop it for the NIK has an insanly good loop radius so try to rope the dope shall i say.:D

And Ack-Ack you fly for Rooks right? I've been looking for a high 38 now usually crusing round 15 to 20k looking...:(
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 01:33:39 AM »
Do yourself a favor and check the speed chart and climb chart for the Ki61. It's nowhere near as uber as the spit16. It's nice but it can be beaten by a 38J easily. I usually am on the Ki end of things so I can vouch.

Its best speed is 15. The speed chart is a chevron strait from 15k to sea level, and mirrored above 15k. You will have speed on it at most if not all alts. You can turn pretty nice but I'd suggest keeping your E up.

N1K2s I've less experience in. I fight them more than I fly 'em. They're easy enough to rope (not loop, but full-out rope) but the problem is their guns. They can get easy snapshots while in the vertical that others might not get. If you don't time the rope right you come down and get a faceful of it. They have amazing climb rate under 5k, above that it sucks horribly, and decreases rapidly with alt. Speed is decent but I can't recall which is faster (N1K2 or 38J). You can turn with 'em for a while if you saddle up. If you enter equal turns get out. If you enter opposite terms you can get some success. If he goes HO and does a sloppy turn every time (90% sure thing if he's in a n1k2) then you got it made. Avoid the HO and saddle up.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 01:51:58 AM »
Had a Tony bounce me during the snapshot tonite.    I must confess to being a lousy J driver as I fly only the 38G but I was amazed to see the Tony run me down.  I checked the film and he was doing 505 on the deck and seemed to be in control where I was shaking, shuddering and compressing far below that speed.

I had no idea that bird was that fast and that I couldn't outrun him on the deck.  And no he didn't have a huge alt advantage as I'd turned into him at first to avoid the big alt advantage so things had slowed.  And initially my speed was faster but he just rocketed back in.  

Part of it is that I'm just more comfortable in the 38G and know it far better then the J, but I got my clock cleaned :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 02:55:55 AM »
Originally posted by SAS_KID
whats the dive speed of the P38J I can usualy get the 61 to 525mph in a steep dive before i have to pull up. Also for the NIK when he meens vertical do not try to loop it for the NIK has an insanly good loop radius so try to rope the dope shall i say.:D

You shall say but you're wrong in what I mean.  The Rope-A-Dope is not the only vertical move but you'll learn eventually.

And Ack-Ack you fly for Rooks right? I've been looking for a high 38 now usually crusing round 15 to 20k looking...:( [/B]

No, I don't fly for the Rookies.  Fly a little lower and you'll run into me but then you're a rather timid pilot so I don't think you'll venture below 15k.

ack-ack

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 06:59:48 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Had a Tony bounce me during the snapshot tonite.    I must confess to being a lousy J driver as I fly only the 38G but I was amazed to see the Tony run me down.  I checked the film and he was doing 505 on the deck and seemed to be in control where I was shaking, shuddering and compressing far below that speed.

I had no idea that bird was that fast and that I couldn't outrun him on the deck.  And no he didn't have a huge alt advantage as I'd turned into him at first to avoid the big alt advantage so things had slowed.  And initially my speed was faster but he just rocketed back in.  

Part of it is that I'm just more comfortable in the 38G and know it far better then the J, but I got my clock cleaned :)

Tony is a lovely plane, handles very well at high speed, good guns, too, and turns pretty well.  But it can't climb, and that's how a 38 should fight it.

- oldman

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:39:57 AM »
mm.. I think a 38 can hang with ki61 in the slow.

I've had some nice fights with GTR in ki61 OTD.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 11:38:42 AM »
At high speeds as well.  At high speeds the Ki-61 should have difficulties making right turns.

ack-ack

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »
I seem to remember a dude called Rocky that flew the 38 a lot, he was a good stick in that crate, wish he was there last night lol.
I didn't realise that the 38 compresses so easily, it reminds me of the 109 in that respect. That tony is far more capabable than a lot of folks think, I'll certainly be treating it with the utmost respect from now on.

When you say " fight in the vertical"  does that mean zoom as much as you can or does it mean  slow it down and use the flaps and out stall them?
Cheers guys
Hawco

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
P38J V Ki61 and nikkis
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:29 PM »
I think the only reason the Ki61 does so well at high speeds is that it has a "Generation 1" flight model. As each plane is upgraded it undergoes tweaks. The AH1 P38 flew a LOT differently than the 2.07 P38. The Ki will no doubt be modeled more accurately whenever it's upgraded to "Generation 3" status.