Author Topic: Pearl Harbor Movie  (Read 1738 times)

AG Sachsenberg

Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
Remember this is coming from a man whose country gave us Benny Hill.  And please read my comments closer I guess I have to start attaching a I am JOKING on every post of mine.  But I thought the rolling eyes and other goodies made that clear

Oh one last thing great to see one more hijacked thread  

One more last thing, don't like the movie?  Stop watching american made movies.  And have your country make better movies?  GB made what 3 movies this year?  

And I am pissed that a new zealander was the lead character in Gladiator as well   Great movie btw.

[This message has been edited by AG Sachsenberg (edited 05-11-2001).]

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2001, 03:59:00 PM »
Speaking of Benny Hill does anyone know where I can get copies of his show on DVD?
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2001, 04:44:00 PM »
AG - why do you presume I even read your post, nevermind actually answer it?

Because, to be honest, I didn't.

Remember this is coming from a man whose country gave us Benny Hill.

And Peter Cook. And John Cleese. And Michael Palin. And Dudley Moore. And Peter Sellers ad (very nearly) infinatum...

It may come as news to you, but Benny Hill isn't exactly regarded as the epitome of British comedy. The only reason it even falls into such a category is because of the canned laughter. Apparently people thought he was hilarious once - but the only good thing he did was play the randy professor in 'The Italian Job'.

One more last thing, don't like the movie? Stop watching american made movies. And have your country make better movies? GB made what 3 movies this year?

Firstly, Hollywood has made some great films. Apocalypse Now, the 'Man with No-name' trilogy, Star Wars, Casablanca, The Big Sleep, Gladiator, American Beauty - all brilliant. It just seems that these days really good films are few and far between.

As for the British film industry - it probably made hundreds last year, but very few have the money to be distributed and so get buried in small art-house cinemas. But frankly, I couldn't really care less how many films GB make or don't make.

Oh one last thing great to see one more hijacked thread

I'm so, so, so very sorry. <tugs forelock> Please stop rolling your eyes at me anymore - I can't take it!

grrr, Ripsnort, just grrr.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2001, 09:24:00 PM »
Oh btw I think they used the shooting on the USS Texas (Drednaut class, been in love with that ship ever since I knocked myself out falling off a 3inch AA gun when I was a kid)
for most of the battle ship row stuff. It's one of the only remaining  US Battleships (and THE only Drednaut left) from the era that wasn't modernized or scrapped (turned over to Texas P&W 1948) , but is in great condition with all the weaponry intact. Restoration was done about a decade ago, so the paint is fairly fresh, all things considered.

It was part of the Atlantic fleet when the Pacific fleet was hit, part of Operation Torch and Overlord (shelling and had barracks for a Ranger section) and shelled Iwo after VE day.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2001, 09:49:00 PM »

Originally posted by Mighty1:
Speaking of Benny Hill does anyone know where I can get copies of his show on DVD?

Not available yet, but you can pre-order

Best of Benny Hill

release date July 24,2001

funked

Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2001, 05:21:00 AM »
I like Benny Hill.

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »

Braveheart and Patriot were both good movies.  Any time the British are portrayed as getting their arse kicked it's usually a good flick.  

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2001, 01:35:00 PM »
Hey Dowding, dont get me wrong, I do love british stuff. That movie, Snatch was a REAL classic in my mind. And I cant stop listening to RADIOHEAD.

So there.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2001, 08:26:00 PM »
My thread was hijacked and I can't find it!!!!!    

I disliked the movie "Battle of Britain" because they did not put any Americans in it!!  Darn Brits anyways!!

Actually one of my favorite movies!!  
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels wasn't bad, either.

Offline Desl0ck

• Zinc Member
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2001, 11:45:00 PM »

Originally posted by Mighty1:
I don't care if it's historically accurate or not it still looks cool.

Yep, I mean, U-571 was a masterpiece of historical representation.  

Desi

------------------
Uncle Desi

MrSiD

Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2001, 12:51:00 AM »
I don't understand this attitude: If it has bombs and planes, who cares if they are aim-9J and f-14 in WW2 movie..

If they're going to spend $20 000 000 making the movie, why on God's earth can't they make it right? They HAVE the resources, they HAVE the technology. They are underminding the viewers - the way they make the movies suggest that they're sure nobody is intelligent enough to see the blatant mistakes.

I hate to see an immersive and fast paced movie completely lose its credibility for ridiculous mistakes.

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2001, 03:06:00 PM »
MrSid would be reffering to FINAL COUNTDOWN and earler someone said STAR WARS was a hollywood movie; well it is acutally a british movie but moved to hollywood for the final two movies.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Pearl Harbor Movie
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
Snatch was good, and was much better than Lock, Stock. But I still think Guy Ritchie is public school-boy who despeartely wants to be working class. C**t. He's such a 'sorted geeza'.

Radiohead are pretty good, but I prefer REM if I want something with a suicidal edge to it.   OK Computer was excellent, though.

Hobodog - I don't think there has been a British movie made in recent years that hasn't had Hollywood money behind it. Does that apply to Star Wars?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.