Author Topic: Widewing...question, Aviation Authors  (Read 166 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Widewing...question, Aviation Authors
« on: June 19, 2006, 07:00:32 AM »
Widewing

I have purchased many books concerning Aviation.  Some were authored by  Fighter and Bomber Pilots and some not.

In the Some not category I've Alfred Price, The FW190 in Combat, of Course Mr Bodie, an some by Bill Gunston.  I've more but don't want to dig around the bookshelves.  Oh and Stephen E. Ambrose The Wild Blue.

Now.....in one of the Posts I stated a direct quote from a Book by Bill Gunston.  The quote was about the first USAAF kill by the P38.  The one stating that a P38E made the first kill of a German Aircraft.  He states it was Dec. 07 1941 just minutes after declaration of War.

Now the rub is you state there were no P38Es in Iceland at that time.  That this happened in 1942.  Your info seems to be correct.  His doesn't.

So.....if you could would you list some Authors who in your opinion have done their homework and their figures and facts are correct?  As I've said before I've collected and read many books on Aviation.  But who can I trust?  Who seems to be on the List of comprehensive Authors  about this subject.

Thanks
Hajo
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
Widewing...question, Aviation Authors
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 07:16:35 AM »
One thing that's wrong is the fact that the U.S. didn't declare war until the day after the Japanese attack - the 8th. That said the declaration was a war with Japan. We did not declare war with Germany until a couple of days later after they had declared war on us because of their alliance with Japan.