Author Topic: Anyone into music?  (Read 426 times)

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
Anyone into music?
« on: October 31, 2000, 04:39:00 PM »
I am! If you'd like to listen to a tune or two (free) I've got two cds worth of original songs at  http://www.mp3.com/dyonisos . It's laid-back psychedelic rock.

Any other musicians flying AH?

-AlgyFT

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Anyone into music?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2000, 09:36:00 AM »
Hey man I'm going to go check them out right now. I've got a CD too, is it easy to get up on mp3.com?

[edit]

hey man nice compositions! Very nice guitar work. Were these recorded in a profesional studio or a home studio?  My room mate and I are about to build our own digital studio.  I hope we can get this kind of quality  

Udie

udie

[This message has been edited by Udie (edited 11-04-2000).]

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
Anyone into music?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2000, 01:57:00 PM »
Thanks, Udie! It was all done in my little home studio. Nothing fancy. Just a decent mixer, decent mic, Line6 guitar amp, lots of software (Cakewalk Pro Audio, Cool Edit Pro, etc.), one synth. I've got a 24-bit digital audio card for recording in my computer, that helps the sound quite a bit.

It's very easy to get started on mp3.com. I've helped a few other friends do it. The most difficult thing is uploading mp3s when you are still using a 56k modem! Other than that it's a piece of cake. If you already have a cd it's pretty easy to encode mp3s using the cd tracks. If you decide to go for it let me know. I'd like to hear your cd.

Dan

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Anyone into music?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2000, 02:34:00 PM »
Nice work, thx!  

Hamish!

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
Anyone into music?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2000, 02:03:00 PM »
Thanks, Hamish!

Someone in Texas bought the new cd yesterday, so that's 21 sold so far (in a little over a week), including one bought by someone in England. That's a cool thing about mp3.com, people all over the world can listen and buy your cd.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Anyone into music?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2000, 04:04:00 PM »
I'm into classical music mostly. There are very few pop songs that I can even stand. Partly it's the beat, partly it's because you can't make out what they're actually singing - I don't like opera either. There's nothing like listening to The Ride of the Valkyries or The Messiah when you've got the enemy in your sights.

Offline Ketil

• Zinc Member
Anyone into music?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2000, 10:10:00 PM »
Cool stuff. I spent the last four years as lead singer/mandolin player for a bluegrass band in WV. Tryin to put something together down here in NC now. One of the reasons I am so broke lol. "Dont give up yer day job" How true............  
Ketil

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
Anyone into music?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2000, 10:27:00 PM »
Ketil, years ago I played upright bass in a folk band! It was actually great fun. We played lots of Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary, Donovan, etc. I played a little 6-string banjo in that band also. I also enjoy classical music, and play a little classical guitar (mostly old baroque stuff, lute and so on).

Offline LuckyDay

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dailyplanetmusic.com
Anyone into music?
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2000, 02:55:00 PM »
Hey there Biggles!  I'm in a band called HouseBlend that plays clubs and colleges around Southern California.  We are mixing our new CD right now and so redesigning the web site and changing the music over to our new songs (personnel changes, etc...) and all that, but you can check us out if you want...
 www.houseblend.net

Better yet check us out in a month or so.

I am using a Line6 Flextone Plus and I just got the Roland U-8 mixer and Cakewalk Home Studio - haven't had much chance to use it though.

------------------
LuckyDay
"What're you going to do, bleed on me?"

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
Anyone into music?
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2000, 03:28:00 PM »

all that, but you can check us out if you want...
 www.houseblend.net
Better yet check us out in a month or so.
[/B]

I definitely will! Heck, if enough of us get on mp3.com (LuckyDay, you could use mp3 to help promote your new cd) I'll start a station called something like "The Aces of MP3.COM.

[This message has been edited by Biggles (edited 11-07-2000).]

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
Anyone into music?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2000, 03:45:00 PM »
Udie:

If you have a FAST PC with large fast drives,
check out GigaStudio. ($299 or $699) There is a demo I used to have that timed out after awhile.
check out:  http://nemesysmusic.com/products/gigastud160.html

Here is a review for it:
  =http://=http://www.harmony-central.com/Reviews/GigaStudio/  
Note: This is a SYSTEM KILLER so you need either a really good box or one to dedicate to just this software.

Get a GSIF low latency  Audio card with a good bit level and you are happening.

As an alternative you can try Gigasampler (from the same people) with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (or the Cakewalk Pro Suite that includes both).
Also check out Steinberg VST.

With a decent guitar, midi keyboard or controller, and couple of mikes you are happening.

If you want to set up a nice "room" for "real recording" use some "egg/waffle" foam like they use for packing.
It is cheaper than Sonex and helps the sound just as much.

If you are interested i can try see if I can find the GigaStudio Demo I had.

[This message has been edited by Snoopi (edited 11-07-2000).]

Offline Ketil

• Zinc Member
Anyone into music?
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2000, 07:46:00 PM »

Originally posted by Biggles:
Ketil, years ago I played upright bass in a folk band! It was actually great fun. We played lots of Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary, Donovan, etc. I played a little 6-string banjo in that band also. I also enjoy classical music, and play a little classical guitar (mostly old baroque stuff, lute and so on).

Cool! I have been working for 3 years now with an amazing young stand up player, he is a monster on that big ole thing. Gonna put Edgar M. and Rob W. outta work one of these days  
You still have that 6 string banjo? Been listening to Norman Blake play one lately, very cool things can be done on there, he plays it very much like a classical guitar style, sounds great.
Ketil

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
Anyone into music?
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2000, 08:41:00 PM »
Yea, upright basses are cool! At the time I played in that folk band, I was in my early teens, and it was all I could do to keep that darn thing standing upright, it was taller than I was! One day I "lost it" and the darn thing fell over right on top of me.

(just kidding)