Author Topic: Dell Laptop Opinions  (Read 351 times)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:10:25 PM »
Ordering a new laptop for my mom & stepdad tomorrow, and plan on getting this:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=iB130S1&s=dhs

Will get it upgraded to 512MB of memory.  This will be an upgrade from a PII333 Celeron running a six-year-old installation of Windows 98SE, and he's only gonna use it for Quicken, Word/Excel, BASIC photo editing, and the Intardnet, so it'll be plenty fast enough for him (mom might use it, but probably not much) - especially considering he's also finally upgrading from dial-up to DSL or Cable.

Does anybody have an edumacated/experienced opinion on this particular model?

I've had a lot of experience with the C-Series Latitudes, and have a favorable opinion of them for the most part.  Never touched any of the newer ones though.

Thanks in advance for your helpful and smart-assed comments.  ;)
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 09:22:26 PM »
Get a couple of soup cans and a string.

you can always upgrade to stringless (and strapless) later on.

(don't like dells. too fragile for me. I have IBM laptops. I'm a klutz. I need them)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 09:47:29 PM »
Dell notebook = junk.

They are notorious for hard drive failures.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 01:56:12 AM »
Im with them ^^ but its cheap and if they leave it on a table or desk for the most part they should be ok with it.

Thinkpads are great Hangtime, but if your a real klutz i would suggest a panasonic toughbook and a helmet :)

Offline JB39

• Zinc Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 03:25:04 AM »
've been running a Latitude C840 on a docking station for about a year now, and never had a problem after switching from a ATI 9250 to a BFG nvidia 5500 PCI vid card. ( in the station) yah way outdated but I was able to play AH mostly trouble free with the setup till the new patch.  I think otterpop was using a similar setup awhile back- we picked up the Dells dirt cheap from the tech school we went to.   Actually, it went through a couple of hardware experiments that should have killed it, but it still works.  If you want to talk junk, I had a 150mHz Pentium IBM Aptiva around 96 or 97' that should have never been allowed to ship anywhere.  Almost threw it off the roof after all the crap it gave me. :furious   39

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 11:59:05 AM »
Dell laptops = CRAP.

That is all.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 02:16:22 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
Dell laptops = CRAP.

That is all.

What's out there that's easy to order, configure and relatively inexpensive for the commoners to pick up?

I'm not going to build one.

I'm poor thus require financing.

I need it to run AH smoooooothly so I can take it on the road, do CM duties and have some fun when sitting in hotel rooms :cry

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 02:25:58 PM »
Check Newegg.com for specials. ACER builds laptops for lots of other companies, they are OK.

Also, saying that you are looking for a cheap gaming laptop is like saying you're looking for a discount ferrari.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 03:06:32 PM »
relatively inexpensive does not mean cheap.  dell does a very good job at making machines that can perform with the least amount of markup.

My desktop now and last 2 have been Dells...and I've had no trouble with any hardware.

Would happily buy another if someone can suggest something better without saying dell sucks.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 05:10:31 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
relatively inexpensive does not mean cheap.  dell does a very good job at making machines that can perform with the least amount of markup.

My desktop now and last 2 have been Dells...and I've had no trouble with any hardware.

Would happily buy another if someone can suggest something better without saying dell sucks.

Right then, back to your original question, sorry for the threadjack.

First you said it's for your mom and stepdad but then you said it's for you to play AH on...  I'd say that I would have different recommendations for each of those uses... unless your mom plays AH... ;)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 05:13:11 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
Right then, back to your original question, sorry for the threadjack.

First you said it's for your mom and stepdad but then you said it's for you to play AH on...  I'd say that I would have different recommendations for each of those uses... unless your mom plays AH... ;)

no...SOB said that.

I might be an sob...but I am not SOB.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
Dell Laptop Opinions
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 05:59:30 PM »
Woops.