Author Topic: Abortion Good, Life Bad  (Read 868 times)

Offline Gunslayer

• Zinc Member
Abortion Good, Life Bad
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2001, 02:29:00 AM »
<S> Eagler. Informative post. I am pretty muchly game for any post that slams abortion. This was actually more about chinese politics, but still informative. THe daughter of one of the ladies I work with just adopted a chinese girl. She is a doll, I can't imagine anyone wanting to throw these children away. I don't want to characterize all chinese poeple this way, but there is a large amount of poeple ditching their girls over there. This lady spent several weeks over there during the adoption and she said the orphanages were just packed with girls, but no boys. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Abortion Good, Life Bad
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2001, 02:52:00 AM »
Gunslayer, it's just that in the Chinese culture, boys are valuable. They can provide for the family and so forth, whereas the girls are a liability, and a costly one.

This combined with China's attempt to control the population growth makes for the current situation.

One must also ask whether it is the Chinese government that is making them orphans, or the Chinese culture (which is FAR older than the government). To me, it's clear it's the people doing what they've always done, but on a much larger scale because of the population control attempts used by the Chinese government.

And, I must admit, I am glad the Chinese are TRYING. Their attempts might be misguided and wrong, but their intentions, to somehow get population growth controlled in a country that consists larlgey of uneducated farmers, are good.

We speak about worries of overcrowding, yet forget to try to find an answer. The Chinese government has tried, but due to the very old Chinese culture and the way woman and men are viewed there, it has backfired. Still, something *has* to be done.

Of course the best way to a stable +-0 population growth is a well developed economy with educated people. That would, however, mean that every Chinese family would have a gas guzzling RV.

Interesting problem.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up space"

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 02-19-2001).]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Abortion Good, Life Bad
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »
Yeah, id rather have 1.6 billion chinese girls running around than 1.6 billion chinese men    

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Abortion Good, Life Bad
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
Tac, personally, I prefer Japanese women to Chinese women, aestethically speaking  . Your mileage may vary.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up space"

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Abortion Good, Life Bad
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2001, 01:38:00 AM »
The numbers probably pale compared to India. There its not the numbers of children so much as the desire for the first born to be a male. culture...

Peeradow

Abortion Good, Life Bad
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2001, 03:52:00 AM »
Yep, i agree. Chog sux. It an abortion  

Pirado