Author Topic: SHREK: the Movie  (Read 373 times)

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
SHREK: the Movie
« on: May 23, 2001, 12:21:00 PM »
Did anyone see the improvement in movie animation? I hope this animation will make its way into cpu games and hopefully the on-line flight sims. This had to be the most realist animated picture I've seen yet. Imagine what they could do with a plane. I wonder how many years till we see this technology in the on-line games.  

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »
I agree that it would be great but I think that we are a ways off before PC games look like Shrek.  Today's consumer PCs can't match the cinematic 3D animation of Toy Story yet.

Wonder what they could do with a plane?  Check out Pearl Harbor.  (the 40 min battle, at least)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
nope haven't seen the movie......but i have spent hours watching the cnn tie in, the nickelodeon tie in, commercials every six seconds, the vh1 shrek party, the newsweek  article and nonstop coverage on every major network, late night talk show, as well as happy meal inserts and endless other plastic products about the movie.

i sure hope it flops, i love to see crass marketing campaign movies fail and watch the distributors cry as they sit there up to their ears in little action figures  

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
Shrek has been in production since '96.  I think the propaganda bombardment is the film company trying to make sure they recoup their expenses.  Mike Meyers, Eddie Murphy, and Cameron Diaz can't be cheap.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2001, 06:07:00 PM »
  Ive seen it mrfish, and sorry to dissapoint you but it was a realy good movie   It was one movie that made me greatfull to have a younger brother for the excuse to go  

I recomend it. Nice to have something to take the young uns to and actually enjoy yourself.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2001, 06:43:00 PM »
of course it was good - otherwise you couldnt make a killing off the tie ins!

errr lemme guess, its a feel-good story with a lot of cooky but lovable characters that ends with a predictable moral message - something like"you cant judge a book by its cover"....or, whats another good one "money isnt everything" doesnt really matter just pick one of the go-to standards.

and at different points in the movie the characters used items specific to them or developed catch pahrases and habits right? wonder why.......

you see it couldnt have a disturbing portion or ending could it? you dont see any 'saving private ryan' action figures lying about do you. no 'taxi driver' pajamas or 'natural born killer' collector happy meals!!! of course it was a good movie!!!, cautious and well planned to be non offensive and uplifting and creating as many possible chances for marketing as possible.

its easy ti get people programmed to buy tie ins,for ex., just make a character always use a magic wand for instance - boom next thing ya know you make a magic wand, put a happy lookin kid on the package, let walmart and target fight each other over the distribution rights t the expense of small single proprietor shops that dont stand a chance,  advertise it and lil johnny is asking for $12-$15 within minutes.

it disgusts me that movies are essentially launching pads for products these days. they are investments not art. any art they happen to be is a coincidence or to get people in not simply fo r the sake of art. i am sure the movie is splendid, but i cant help thinking of mr. distributorstein that could care less about the content so long as it serves as a vehicle to move products and is salivating at the money he is about to make off the herd mentality in this country and his cheap production deal with china.

nothin against you personally mind you - just the industry

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2001, 09:03:00 PM »
 If it makes you feel any better they did make fun of short people  

SeaWulfe

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2001, 10:40:00 PM »

Originally posted by rosco-:
 Ive seen it mrfish, and sorry to dissapoint you but it was a realy good movie   It was one movie that made me greatfull to have a younger brother for the excuse to go  

Yeah but us amurikans know you kanaydions are bakwerds!

Onlesc u kan tak a beer tu eet, eet's a krapee mooveee!
-SW

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »

Originally posted by mrfish:
its easy ti get people programmed...

People that can be programmed because they are dumb or because their parents do not care to shield them during their vulnerable years will be programmed one way or another - just like an untended field fills up with weeds. To avoid weeds from taking over teh field it should either be already full with strong weed-resistant crop or constantly protected.
 I grew up in USSR and we had 2 TV channels. 1 hour of politically correct cartoons a week, 1-2 movies, some musical (country and classical performances) but mostly industry news and propaganda. In other words, nothing to watch, period.
 Also extremely concervative  politically correct movies at a rate of few a year - mostly about work or WWII or revolution. No sex whatsoever.
 Also, no ads, practically no toys *by US standards) and no distractions.
 So we, kids, spent most of the time on the streets - getting education from each other.
 You could not believe how much crap got "programmed" into us - especially those that parents ignored.
 I would rather prefer ignored kids get programmed with fuzzy cuddly cartoon characters and magic wands, then some other stuff. As you have mentioned, Hollywood stuff is carefully designed by smart and professional people to be filling but inconsequential. Random stuff is usually dangerous.
 So before you call for dismantling the movie industry, would you care forst to suggest a replacement?

nothin against you personally mind you - just the industry
 If you feels the need for better movies, why don't you make some? It's a free country. People are successfully raising money on much less popular causes all the time.

miko

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2001, 11:02:00 AM »
uhmm, I don't wanna watch a realistic movie or a work of art film every time I go to the movies.  I like the "programmed" style movies sometimes.  I agree with you about the tie-ins and what not, but oh well.  Mr Distributer is trying to make a buck, and he's doing a damned good job at it.  It's not his fault parents use toys, games and TVs for babysitters.  He's just taking advantage of the way society is, and that's what you're supposed to do to succeed.  Honestly, don't blame the industry, blame the society that shapes the industry into what it is.  

Same thing with professional sports.  Yeah, these athletes and owners make gobs of liquid cash, but it just doesn't magically appear.  It comes from people willing to pay $50 per game to see A-Rod play, people who pay $125 for that authentic jersey with A-Rod's name on it, etc.  Yes, there is greed on the part of the industry, but the society supports that greed, and does it happily in most cases.

hehe, sorry about all this, I'm just tired and a bit cranky (work does that to ya!)  Hmm, I think I'll watch Monty Python tonight, that'll make me happy!!  
"Naughty Zoot!  Bad, bad terrible Zoot!  She must be punished, and here at Castle Anthrax, we only have one punishment...  You must spank her!  And after you spank her, then you will spank me!"
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »

Originally posted by miko2d:
I would rather prefer ignored kids get programmed with fuzzy cuddly cartoon characters and magic wands, then some other stuff.

i would prefer people dont get programmed at all. i would prefer that people honor the art of movies instead of making them 2 hr commercial for their products.

it doesnt matter if it is cartoon characters or not, using any tool to program people is wrong. its not the fuzzy little bears i am concerned with, its the sharp toothed, beady eyed, nervous looking little man with the wad o' green in his hand standing in the shadows behind those fuzzy little bears that i dont care for.

it doesnt surprise me that this doesnt bother you. you have an "anything is ok if it is for profit" attitude so i cant say i am surprised. arent you the same you the same guy who advocated political figures using wealth to influence the democratic process?

edit: oh and this question:"If you feels the need for better movies, why don't you make some? It's a free country."

- because i dont write predictable slop. therefore i couldnt get funded.

[This message has been edited by mrfish (edited 05-24-2001).]