Author Topic: Emily Keyes  (Read 267 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Emily Keyes
« on: September 29, 2006, 01:57:04 PM »
Here is a story about the loss of a young woman in the prime of her life.  She could have been your sister, your daughter, grandaughter....  

I have but one question: Is there anything that can be done to prevent human beings from being so cruel and inhumane to one another?  Is there anything at all?

I grow weary of these times.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/28/school.shooting/index.html
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Re: Emily Keyes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 03:10:32 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
Here is a story about the loss of a young woman in the prime of her life.  She could have been your sister, your daughter, grandaughter....  

I have but one question: Is there anything that can be done to prevent human beings from being so cruel and inhumane to one another?  Is there anything at all?

I grow weary of these times.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/28/school.shooting/index.html

"These times"? You mean the time since human history has been recorded? These acts are not new to our time period.

So to answer your questions. No. Nothing can be done.

(this doesn't take anything away from the loss of her life. It's tragic, and I feel for her family and community.)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Emily Keyes
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »
No matter how many times I tell myself that there are 280 million people in the US and that there will be a small percentage of truly evil people, it is still hard to believe when things like this happen.

We need to make it easier for these nut-bags to off themselves, and make it more difficult for them to take innocent people with them.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Emily Keyes
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:29:05 PM »
sad
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 03:31:45 PM by Red Tail 444 »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Emily Keyes
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 04:13:46 PM »
There are a number of people who are truly evil and of absolutely no value to humanity. Unfortunately they have to reveal themselves as such and the act that reveals them is one like this one. There are good people and there are those who are simply a waste of oxygen and resources. We can help those who need it and are good people and remove those who are not. The key is determining who is who in the equation and when to take action.

Prayers and thoughts to her family and those who this vermin injured.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: Emily Keyes
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 05:06:14 PM »
Originally posted by Nifty
"These times"? You mean the time since human history has been recorded? These acts are not new to our time period.

So to answer your questions. No. Nothing can be done.

(this doesn't take anything away from the loss of her life. It's tragic, and I feel for her family and community.)

Aye, Niffty.

These Times?! Kids have never been safer in school. You've never been safer driving down the road. Our first responders have never been more prepared to deal a situation like this.

Also not taking anything away from the tragic loss of Emily Keyes or what she and her classmates endured, what I grow weary of in "these times" is the maniacal news coverage given to a tragic but isolated and fairly unspectacular event that 50 years ago probably wouldn't have made national news.

Life is messy and risky. No ammount of freedom limiting pre-emptive nannying will prevent people from going whacko and harming others. I also fear in "these times" the result of this will be a slew of legislation that our politicos will thump on spouting how much they protect us when all they are doing is making this country more and more unrecognizable from the ideals of our founding fathers.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Emily Keyes
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 05:14:11 PM »
:(