Author Topic: new hard drive  (Read 327 times)

Offline ScorpCH

• Zinc Member
new hard drive
« on: October 30, 2006, 08:44:16 AM »
good morning everyone,

yesterday i got a new 120 gig hard drive in and i am trying to replace my old and damaged one.i have removed the old one and replaced it with the new one, but now i cant even get to the boot up screen to load windows.  the monitor just keeps saying 'please check signal' when i start it up. can anyone please help me? i work on parachutes and life rafts not computers so please keep it simple :P

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
new hard drive
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 08:52:38 AM »
Good afternoon Scorp ;).

First i have a question.... the damaged hard drive you removed... is that the disk where the OS (Windows i assume) was installed on? Or was it just a second hard drive only used to store data/install games or programs?

If it was a data storage disk:

When the monitor gets no signal, that usually means theres a plug loose. Unplug the computer from power supply (after shutting it down of course) and check ALL the plugs inside. Also make sure your graphics card is still solidly in the slot on the mother board. Then check all the plugs from the cables in the back. Especially the one going to the monitor.

If it was your system disk:

Also check all plugs.

What EXACTLY does the computer do when you try to start it up? How far do you get, ie at what point does the monitor not get any signal? Do you still see the "memory check" thingy and the point where it asks you to "hit DEL to enter setup"?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 08:55:35 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
new hard drive
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 03:43:58 PM »
If all you get is the monitor's default "Please check signal" you have problems other than the hard drive.  That message occurs when the video card is not providing any signal to the monitor.  So fix that first.

1. Make sure the video cable from the monitor is attached to the video card.

2. If you have an extra power connecter on the video card, make sure there is one of the four wire hard drive/cd drive power connectors plugged into it.  You may have unplugged it when swapping out the hard drive.

3. If it still doesn't work, try reseating the video card.  Pull it out of the motherboard and plug it back in.

If it is still not working, make sure that you have all the power connectors attached to the motherboard that are supposed to be there.  Also, listen and look for fans spinning.  If your fans aren't spinning, you have a power problem.

Offline MerlinVI

• Copper Member
      • VI Squadron
Re: new hard drive
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:36:56 AM »
Originally posted by ScorpCH
good morning everyone,

yesterday i got a new 120 gig hard drive in and i am trying to replace my old and damaged one.i have removed the old one and replaced it with the new one, but now i cant even get to the boot up screen to load windows.  the monitor just keeps saying 'please check signal' when i start it up. can anyone please help me? i work on parachutes and life rafts not computers so please keep it simple :P

Firstly, is the new hdd an ide or sata drive, secondly you had grounded yourself b4 removing the cover on the puter and diving in i hope, if you could let me know the type of system you have.

are you using agp graphics or pci express cards etc does your card need a power supply is it Nvidia etc etc the more info the better.

I would say however that it sounds as though you have a graphics card problem there, possibly you knocked it whilst removing the old hdd, its easily done and very annoying hehe.:cry