Author Topic: Overnight Change  (Read 350 times)

Offline LookOutBelow

• Zinc Member
Overnight Change
« on: December 17, 2006, 11:39:57 AM »
I opened the game this morning to find out all my flight control settings had changed from the night before. Specifically rudder is now fixed in the full left position and elevators are fixed in the full down position. Although I can trim them back to a central position, every time I switch aircraft or get shot down and start again, the same thing happens. Is there any way to change it back to the original positions permanently??
LOB

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »
Ho !

Are you talking about the trim indicators in the cockpit? They are set to the combat trim position for take off upon spawning.

Offline LookOutBelow

• Zinc Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »
Thanks for replying. However, does combat trim mean full left rudder and full down elevator? Until this morning, all my controls were neutral. How do I get them back to neutral permanently??
LOB

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Overnight Change
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 09:32:03 PM »
Originally posted by LookOutBelow
Thanks for replying. However, does combat trim mean full left rudder and full down elevator? Until this morning, all my controls were neutral. How do I get them back to neutral permanently??
LOB

Combat trim is not static, but dynamic and is depending on your speed. So at one time combat trim DOES actually mean your trim indicators are way to the left & down, other time they may be just seem to be more in a "neutral" position.

This is how the trim indicators look like just after deployment on runway in a Tempest:

The moment you start rolling, the indicators will start to move too.

A "neutral" trim in flight (= straight & level flight without the need of constant control input), wether aquired via Combat Trim or by trimming manually does not mean that the respective indicators you see in cockpit have to be in a neutral position.

For a better and more in-depth explanation of trim in Aces High visit www.netaces.org and look for "Auto-Trim in Aces High"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:35:15 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 10:56:07 PM »
Could also be your joystick has lost calibration.
Then again I have a bad habit of not completely understanding what someone writes in their posts.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline LookOutBelow

• Zinc Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 11:10:12 PM »
Thank you for the response. I will look at that URL for assistance. However, the fact still remains. I have been flying with Aces for the past 6 months now and everytime I started the game or respawned during the game, the control surfaces are at the neutral position. As I move the controls..left, right..up..down..if I let go of the joystick, the controls would slowly, automatically return to a neutral position.
As of today...all that changed. Obviously I've hit a key or combination of keys to change that. Since I primarily fly a bomber (95% of the time), keeping constant left or right pressure for yaw and roll on the stick can be very tiring, especially during the climb to altitude before the run to target.  It makes following in formation almost impossible even if I'm "locked" on to the leader.
I just want to get back to where I was yesterday and continue to enjoy the game!!

L.O.B.
p.s. But thanks for your help...!!:aok

Offline LookOutBelow

• Zinc Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:39:09 PM »
Fuzeman..thanks for your response. I don't think it's the joystick. I just recalibrated it...(I thought it was that as well). I checked the netaces.org webpage and think I somehow or other disengaged the "auto-trim". Probably got too excited playing the game, got myself in a weird position (probably flying from tthe backseat!!), and hit the wrong combination of keys. Anyway, will try the auto-trim to see if that works...if not...well...I guess I fly sideways for a while...!!
I've been flying sailplanes and small aircraft (real ones), for over 30 years but only just got into "flying" the computer in the last 6 months. I can tell you this...trimming a real aircraft is done by feel..how the control surfaces "feel" in your hands, feet, and your butt!! (Yes...you can feel air movement through your butt as well!!). Flying the computer...the same sense of "feel" isn't there and makes it much more difficult.
Anyway...that said....Thanks for your suggestion.

L.O.B.

Offline LookOutBelow

• Zinc Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 12:11:51 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Combat trim is not static, but dynamic and is depending on your speed. So at one time combat trim DOES actually mean your trim indicators are way to the left & down, other time they may be just seem to be more in a "neutral" position.

This is how the trim indicators look like just after deployment on runway in a Tempest:

The moment you start rolling, the indicators will start to move too.

A "neutral" trim in flight (= straight & level flight without the need of constant control input), wether aquired via Combat Trim or by trimming manually does not mean that the respective indicators you see in cockpit have to be in a neutral position.

For a better and more in-depth explanation of trim in Aces High visit www.netaces.org and look for "Auto-Trim in Aces High"

Offline LookOutBelow

• Zinc Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 12:33:08 AM »
Lusche...
I followed your instructions...went to netaces.org. read the instructions and understood what do to. I opened the game..US side..got a B17, used F4 to see inside the cockpit, but couldn't find the gauge for the autotrim. I looked at the Lancaster..did the same..couldn't find the gauge..looked at the Mosquito..couldn't find the gauge. I looked at the P47, Mustang, Tempest, Spitfire, FW190, ME109 and couldn't find the gauge!! Even if I did
in the preferences guide, I didn't see anything for Auto Take Off, No Tracers, Auto Combat Trim, etc.  In the "In Game Help" it refers to Trim controls as being "T". When I press that..nothing happens.
I can manually trim the aircraft using Lshift Z & X..but thats once in the air. The way it is right now..I need a circular runway..cause all it does is go Left..it won't straighten to take off!!
It is getting so that  maybe I should delete the entire program and try reinstalling it. Maybe everything will revert back to the default.
LOB.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 06:43:50 AM »
I hate to ask this Lookoutbelow, but sometimes the obvious escapes us.

What Joystick hardware do you have?

If you have CH Gear there are trim wheels (pitch and roll) on the base of your JS that kids tend to like to play with.

Balsy

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Overnight Change
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 06:46:51 AM »
Just to be sure:
You deploy on the runway and throttle full up. You do not touch other controls, so that Autotakeoff will do the work, and just use Combat Trim, no amnual. And yet you still only move to the left?
If that hold true, it is a controller problem, not one of trimming.

By the way, for anyone new to the game I usually recommend NOT to use manual trim from the first days/weeks. Combat trim just does a quite good job on most planes and in most situations. Usually a new player has enough trouble when learning the game (Sitational Awareness, basic ACM, how to shoot and hit etc) that Manual Trim is in my opinion just overloading the new player.

(I even had the stall limiter enabled for my first three months... ;) )
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 06:58:29 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LookOutBelow

• Zinc Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 12:08:10 PM »
OK Everybody...thanks for all your help.
The trim, keyboard, and stick seem to be back to  normal. Again..I don't really know why it changed and don't really know why it went back. Over the past 10 hours..I've hit a nbr of keys and forgotten the sequence. What ever it was...thanks again!!
L.O.B.
:D :aok

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Overnight Change
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 12:21:24 PM »
There are no gauges for Combat Trim and Autopilots, they have indicator lights on the cickpit. In some of the new cockpits they can be obscured by the stick or located in out of the way places.
CT has a seperate light, green is on and off is off.
AutoP has one indicator that changes color to reflect which one is active. Auto-takeoff and autopilot climb [ APClimb can use the .speed XXX command] are both red, auotpilot level is yellow, and auotpilot angle is green on that indicator.
The sliders with red lines are the trim indicators. Any autopilot setting will make all three move automatically and manual trim adjustments will make the appropriate red line move for the trim you are changing.

Balsy also touched on a good point. The hardware trim dials on the stick. Once you have calibrated in Windows and then ingame, those should not be touched.
Unless of course you notice an abnormal travel in the joystick axis. I mention that because I did this recently with my 8 year old CH stuff. I noticed the distance from center to up and center to down was not equal so I shifted it off center with those hardware tabs to center it. You would most likely use this in rare instances though.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54