Author Topic: F4U-1D w/o left wingtip  (Read 200 times)

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
F4U-1D w/o left wingtip
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:27:37 AM »
Something strange happened with me today. I collided in F4U-1D and lost left wingtip (no any other damage, except left aileron of course). Turn to home and soon reach our base. Engine idle, droped gears at ~270 mph, start lowering flaps as speed going down and suddenly plane began roll clockwise (on safe wing). I cannt counter it and crashed.

Damn, i landed many times w/o wingtips and always plane roll on broken wing not safe (as far i remember at least), and flaps help to keep plane stable. I tried to repeat it in TA but cannt broke wingtip and dont crash in process.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
F4U-1D w/o left wingtip
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 04:00:06 PM »
Ive noticed what you described several times. Sometimes with lost wingtip, its quite control-able and you can land with a bit of work with flaps rudder and throttle, other times theres just no hope and ya crash horribly. I think there are at least two possible explanations:
1. It would depend on which on wing was damaged as engine torque would mean damage to the left would manifest itself differently to damage to the right etc.
2. There would seem to be varying degrees of 'wingtip' damage. its just that the graphics only show either wing there, tip missing, or wing not there at all - nothing in between. So in some cases the damage is critical and other times its not at all, it just *looks* the same.

just my opinion anyways
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
F4U-1D w/o left wingtip
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:50:33 AM »
I dont remember in which direction F4U prop turns (lol), but torque alone cannt be so strong to counter loss of lift at left (damaged) wing. Otherwise landing undamaged plane would ever more difficult :)

Needless to say, any damage to left wing would turn plane counter-clockwise.

Personally, i start thinking it happens because my right flap was jammed after collision. I said there was no any other damage, but i didnt check damage list actually. Nobody shoot at me (i rammed p38 from behind falling on him from skies), no more visual damages, all controls works, plane flew as expected after wingtip loss so i didnt need to look damage list. But i dont know how i can damage right flap colliding by left wing :huh
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou