Author Topic: 38 Spn Recovery  (Read 470 times)

Offline Big Mickey

• Zinc Member
38 Spn Recovery
« on: December 21, 2006, 09:30:35 PM »
Here's one for you 38 drivers that has me stumped. I find that I spin the 38 more than any other aircraft and find that strange since to counter rotating props should make it a little more forgiving.

Once I get a 38 into spin (very easy with the J model it seems) I can not get it out. I have tried everything I know of and nothing works, I just spin away till I meet the ground. How oh masters of the fork tailed devil do you get this bird out of a spin?

Thanks in advance,

Big Mickey

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
38 Spn Recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:50:11 PM »
If you create the scenerio where one wing stalls before the other while nose down, that is what causes the spin.

If you briefly throttle back the engine that's on the outside of the spin while leaving the other at full power, that will counter the spin the quickest.  (defult keys to select an engine to adjust individuallly are: Shift_1 for engine 1, Shift_2 for engine 2, Shift_E for both).  If you spun because 1 engine is dead, kill the good engine and use normal spin recovery techniques to recover, then refire the good engine.

Normal spin recovery proceedures may work depending on the severity of the spin.  Close throttles, push forward on the stick, no flaps, counter rudder the spin.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:55:12 PM by Murdr »

Offline Big Mickey

• Zinc Member
38 Spn Recovery
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:51:58 PM »
Thx Murdr. I'll give the engine seletion a try, don't why I didn't think of that. I think one of my problems is I am so used to yankin and bankin with a jug, I need to be a little more gentile with this bird.

Thanks again!!

Big Mickey

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
38 Spn Recovery
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:14:48 PM »
Here is what the Pilot Training Manual for the P-38 Lightning (not the same as Pilots Manual for the Lockheed P-38 Lightning) has to say about spins.

And here is a video of a real P-38 spinning.  If you pause the video when the sun reflects off of the rudders, you can see that the pilot is giving full rudder into the spin to get it going.  The 38 was really hard to spin!

[Link]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:19:07 PM by Benny Moore »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
38 Spn Recovery
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Big Mickey
I think one of my problems is I am so used to yankin and bankin with a jug, I need to be a little more gentile with this bird.

Thanks again!!

Big Mickey
Only if you are pushing the envelope through the last 45 degrees comming down out of the vertical, and push it pas the limit.  That is where it is most prone to entering a spin.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
38 Spn Recovery
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 06:45:34 PM »
Also be careful of the spins induced by the auto-retracting flaps.  In most cases they are unrecoverable at low altitudes

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
38 Spn Recovery
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 03:12:29 AM »
I find that the easiest way to get out of a spin in my 38G is to hit the ground.  

Next thing ya know I'm sitting straight and level on the runway in a brand new plane :)

To be honest though, I haven't spun the 38 much at all.  On occasion in one of those knock down drag out fights in a mob on the deck, I've stalled it and spun in, but that was more from desperation then anything else.

Pretty docile bird most of the time.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
38 Spn Recovery
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 04:04:26 AM »
For some reason I spin sometimes in an "almost head-on" high deflection shot.  It's that case where you know if you can't make the shot, you will be prompty outmaneuvered (for instance, fighting a Spitfire with superior energy and a good pilot).  It's the only time I really spin, but when I take that shot, I keep firing until I see him blow up or bail out!  This tenacity often causes me to enter a nasty spin.  For some reason, I never do this when I'm behind the target, even if I'm losing him.  That high deflection frontal shot's the only time I do it.