Author Topic: Kev367th - 603S/RAF  (Read 451 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Kev367th - 603S/RAF
« on: January 03, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »
Kev ...

Finally getting around to ask this question.

The "Blue" Spit ... why are the ailerons brown ? ... I use to fly this plane ALL the time and am pretty sure that the ailerons were blue ... but now I see brown. Is there something wrong or am I crazy ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
Kev367th - 603S/RAF
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:22:21 PM »
whe the plane was painted on the carrier it was thought that painting the alerion would affect the handeling so they left them brown.

well thats the explanation i have been told
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Kev367th - 603S/RAF
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »
Sooo ... you saying that I am crazy ? ... ;)

I swear they were blue when the skin was first released.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Kev367th - 603S/RAF
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:26:10 PM »
It's all really a matter for speculation.  No one knows for sure what color that blue was.  Most seem to think it was from US Navy stocks since they were on the Wasp.

I had a long discussion about it with Spitfire historianPeter Arnold and Clive Denney who runs the Historic Aircraft Company at Legends before they did the Blue painted Spit V for the Merlins over Malta event.  If Peter and Clive didn't know for sure, no one does.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Re: Kev367th - 603S/RAF
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 11:12:02 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Kev ...

Finally getting around to ask this question.

The "Blue" Spit ... why are the ailerons brown ? ... I use to fly this plane ALL the time and am pretty sure that the ailerons were blue ... but now I see brown. Is there something wrong or am I crazy ?

As the paint was applied rather hastily (even read of them using brooms!!!), the control surfaces were left in the original factory "desert scheme" colors, for fear of causing handling problems.

This doesn't apply to all of the Malta Spits, but original pics of U-2 definately seemed to show this was the case for this particular one.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Kev367th - 603S/RAF
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:21:15 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
As the paint was applied rather hastily (even read of them using brooms!!!), the control surfaces were left in the original factory "desert scheme" colors, for fear of causing handling problems.

This doesn't apply to all of the Malta Spits, but original pics of U-2 definately seemed to show this was the case for this particular one.

Thanks for the reply Kev ... again ... my deepest condolences on the passing of your Mom.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Kev367th - 603S/RAF
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 12:53:01 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
The "Blue" Spit ... why are the ailerons brown ?

I heard that thanks to the recent updates the bitmaps have been changed around. Thanks to that the paint is all messed up. Once again, that's what I heard.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.