Author Topic: Do you Fly?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2007, 10:10:27 AM »
If memory serves both times in the last year were in an Encore.

Prior to that a few stop and drops in a Mooney and one in a Cirrus.

Check your PMs
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:16:30 AM by Golfer »

Offline dragon25

• Zinc Member
a wanna be
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2007, 10:17:59 AM »
I'm a avation hopefull @ the moment. I've done alot of the ground school here on my own, using alot of do it yourself type manuals and kits. I'm sure that if given about a week to study, I could pass the written /w out a problem.
The next step is pooping the cash of a insturctor and plane. If anyone knows of any "cheats" (intro flight coupons, discounts, financing offers, ect.) and you find the time, mail me, please!
pilotknight1980@yahoo.com
Got a load of time in MS Flight Sim X. Can navigate using real world Enroute charts, using VORS, and understand most of a given appraoch plate. Even have my very own MS Flight Sim IFR pilot rating!
:rofl

Any ideas U guys have would be awesome. My ultimate goal is to maybe one day earn ratings that would allow me to earn a living in flight. I'm 26 yrs old and work as a LT in a Louisiana State prison. Great job, but this 25K a year isn't gettting it with 2 kids and a wife that is a full time mom and homemaker!

to all!

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2007, 11:11:46 AM »
You'll be happy to know the Regional Airlines pay between $15,000 - $22,000 your first year. :O :cry

There's not really any way around paying $30,000 for your ratings from Private through Commercial and at least your basic CFI (CFII/MEI are great things to have) at a bare minimum.

Eeeeek!:eek:

Offline dragon25

• Zinc Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2007, 11:25:05 AM »
Wow...alot of cash....but, to be able to get my private rating would be enough....just to fly for fun, even if it's just a few hours every so often. My wife is deathly scared of flying, and I would love to make my dream and passion and maybe get her hooked on avation. And to take my 5 yr old up someday would maybe instill a dream for him later in his life.

Offline DmdJJ

• Copper Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2007, 11:30:08 AM »
Originally posted by REP0MAN
and a 182 (Currently) with frogleg retractable gear and pressurized cabin. Seats 6.

Please tell me this is a typo. If not my BS meter is right.
DmdJJ   
"The Damned"
"Damned if we do, no fun if we don't"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Target Rebaul-----> VMF-214   Fjord Fury RAF----> 315 Squadron

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2007, 11:49:59 AM »
Indeed rixPJ, there are  a few good wives around. Having said that she knows the the potential payoff eventually is a high paying airline job where she can quit work or go part time while I earn the big money in Ryanair or something. I know one guy whose wife told him 'I'll pay for everything but when you get the good job, I retire.' He now flies Airbuses and she is a lady who lunches:)

Offline RixPJ

• Zinc Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2007, 11:59:10 AM »
Originally posted by dragon25
Wow...alot of cash....but, to be able to get my private rating would be enough....just to fly for fun, even if it's just a few hours every so often. My wife is deathly scared of flying, and I would love to make my dream and passion and maybe get her hooked on avation. And to take my 5 yr old up someday would maybe instill a dream for him later in his life.

Just be aware Dragon that the training is just the beginning and a lot of people fall into the trap where they take out loans to complete their training and then can't afford to fly after getting their license because of the loan payments.  Kind of a catch 22 situation.  
Most people think that pilots make a bunch of money.  Well, some certainly do.  Most flying jobs though do not command a huge salary.  You have to want to do this job because you love to fly.  Personally, I don't really work for a living.  I get up, hang out at the airport and go flying whenever possible.  Somehow a paycheck magically appears every 2 weeks.  I feel quite guilty sometimes, but then there are nights when the weather is lousy and you get called out at 2AM for a pop up organ procurement run that will take up your 14 hour duty day..  at the end of that I at least feel I have earned the paycheck.  I love it though :).

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2007, 12:00:47 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
You'll be happy to know the Regional Airlines pay between $15,000 - $22,000 your first year. :O :cry

There's not really any way around paying $30,000 for your ratings from Private through Commercial and at least your basic CFI (CFII/MEI are great things to have) at a bare minimum.

Eeeeek!:eek:

$30k, that's nothing. To train full time at a JAA school in Europe you can pay between $100,000 and $130,000. That will give you about 200 hours. you an add another 30k to that for some airlines that ask you to pay up front for a type rating on their aircraft.

Offline RixPJ

• Zinc Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2007, 12:04:15 PM »
^one of the reasons I wanted to move to the States.  Flight training in Europe is prohibitively expensive.  It is not a cheap thing to do over here but it is at least do-able for more people.

Offline FTPiper

• Zinc Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »
I got my license on my 17th birthday in 1986. I have a single engine private pilot's license with an instrument rating and a complex and high performance endorsement. I used to be in a small flying club with a Cherokee 180 (hence the Piper handle). I lost my enthusiasm for flying when my son passed away in 2003. I had always expected to pass on my passion for the air to him just like my Dad did to me. With him gone, I just lost interest. I left AH for about 3 years and only recently came back. I still look up when a plane flys by (especially a radial!) but I'm not sure if I'll ever punch holes in the air again. I've flown Traumahawks, 150/152s, 172/172RGs, 210s, Arrows, Cubs, Cherokees, Skippers, Sundowners, Musketeers, Sierras, a glider, a Decathalon,  and an SH-60 helo when I was a Midshipman. As for a story... I flew my wife (a non-pilot) to visit her sister in Alabama in the Cherokee. Dothan, Alabama was at minimums when we got there. I flew the ILS to decision height, saw the runway, and stole a quick glance at her half expecting she'd be nervously staring out the window. She was reading a book! Keeper:aok

Offline rodak

• Zinc Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2007, 03:44:10 PM »
I started flying with my father when I was just a little kid and landed his plane myself (with him in the left seat) when I was 12.     After his death in 1980 from a car accident I was so upset I didn't even want to go flying and I sold his cessna 150 to another pilot he knew.  In 1986 a friend mentioned flying and a few months later I got my private pilots license.  I have a ton of memories and storys both fun ones and bad ones that resulted in death and it would take forever to tell em all.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Do you Fly?
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2007, 06:31:11 PM »
Originally posted by RTGorkle
The Raw Prawns AH squadron members have a combined total of about 20,000 hours - gliders, Cessna, Eagle, Robinson, Boeing, Airbus etc etc blah blah blah. Correction - 11,049 hours.

Air Mafia has over 16,000 hours and I don't even know how many hours my squaddies have.;)

Dave
DJ229-AirMafia
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV