Author Topic: SEA Terrain Questions?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
SEA Terrain Questions?
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:21:24 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm trying my luck at making a SEA terrain. I was thinking about making a Malta Terrain so the guys at SEA can enjoy a nice "Fire Over Malta" scenario. I heard that they used NHawk's Italy terrain last time around to play that scenario. Yet this is what I had in mind:

I'm taking suggestions, I'm sure one of them will be "Use Less of Sicily, look how small Malta is compared to the portion of land you have for Sicily." Before I can do that I'll be looking for historical information as to where the Luftwaffe and possibly Italy had their airfields on that island. Also, I'll probably need some assistance on the elevation, because I'm none too good when it comes to generating a land slope.

Yet, what I needed to know is this:

1. Does a SEA map require a working STRAT system?
2. Does a SEA map have certain limitations such as "2 carriers per 15 bases"

I'm not sure what all I need to know, so if there's something that I didn't ask that is "critical". Please tell me about it.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
SEA Terrain Questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:21:46 AM »
You have a lot of enthusiasm, Denholm, but if you're planning to make an SEA terrain out of this, we already have one that works quite well, ASW's Italy terrain. The elevations and the land masses are very accurate, along with a highly researched and represented field layout. You're not going to do a better job than what ASW did.

If you really want to do this particular terrain, then do it for yourself and the H2H crowd. Or perhaps, you could funnel that endless energy you have into something we don't already have, maybe something really unique, something outside the mainstream of SEA events.

Something like the Soccer War of 1969, maybe... just an idea. AvA guys have been asking for that forever. I just don't want to see you wasting your time on something that won't get used as you intended.

In answer to your questions:
1. Not really, but it's good to have something strat-worthy going on, just in case.
2. Never heard about the "2 carriers" rule, and I'm sure we've violated that one. :) I do know that you need to be careful when you have a list of CV numbers that cross from 99 into the 100s... they won't show up in the TG list correctly and cause TG Jump commands to behave oddly. For example, the CVs show up like this:

Because 1 comes before 9.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
SEA Terrain Questions?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 02:11:05 PM »
LOL and if they used my Italy terrain they had ESP (I don't think I ever told anyone I had one) and gained access to my computer to get it. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
SEA Terrain Questions?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 02:17:04 PM »
The Soccer War of 1969
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/printer_156.shtml

Now this is interesting :)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
SEA Terrain Questions?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 09:28:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I didn't know that NHawks Italy terrain was accurate as to the size of Malta, considering that the max map size we have is 512 x 512, it didn't seem that he could get the accurate size of Italy, Sicily, parts of North Africa, and Malta all into the same terrain without at least SOME size distortion.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look into something else.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.