Author Topic: Blue Screen of Death HELP ME!  (Read 464 times)

Offline Primate

• Zinc Member
Blue Screen of Death HELP ME!
« on: July 25, 2001, 06:35:00 PM »
I just realized that WWIIOL isn't finished so I decided to hop on over here and try this game.  Anyway, i downloaded the game and every time I try to play a light blue screen comes up and I can't do anything.  So I have to Alt-Tab and the close Aces High.  I have directX 8.0a installed but just to be safe I installed it again and I am still experiencing this problem.

My System Specs Are as Follows:

-pII 400mhz
-VoodooBanshee video card
-192 megs of RAM
-directx 8.0A
-Disk drive recently defragged and cleaned up due to my (horrible) experiences with WWIIOL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want to play this game!

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
I had a similar experience while running win2k and aces without having the latest vid drivers,not sure on the situation with voodoo banshee but make sure you have the latest drivers installed for it,if you are running win2k,make sure you have service pack 2,it has a little known fix for older games  ...goto www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/appcompat/default.asp

also win2k now has compatibility mode,u must
do
start
run
type:regsvr32 %systemroot%\appatch\slayerui.dll

mind the spaces
after u do this you can right click a shortcut/properties and choose between win95/98/and NT4 SP5 modes........this is a bit of a backdoor solution but it may work for you dimitry,let me know how you go  :)
<S>
Steely out
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2001, 08:41:00 PM »
I know what your problem is, guaranteed.  You are trying to use 32 bit color on a voodoo 3 (or lower) card.  32 bit color is not supported on these cards.  All you have to do to fix this is go into the HTC/aceshigh/settings folder.  Find and delete the file called video.cfg.  Now reboot and start AH again.  This time pick 16 bit color and you will be fine.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2001, 08:42:00 PM »
(BTW:  This is in the faq.)

Offline Primate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2001, 09:01:00 PM »
what faq? i looked at the support FAQ.  I'm sorry if it was for causing this trouble.  Oh well, haven't tried that, will reinstall and try now.  I did have it on 32 bit.

Offline Primate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
Wow thanks Bloom your advice worked.  What can I do to pay you back?...Money?...A new car...set up a shrine of you in my room and start a cult that worships you?

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2001, 10:25:00 PM »
youre gonna regret asking him that...  ;)

Offline sprint

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2001, 12:51:00 AM »
Bloom25 .. Take a shrine, they will last forever, cars however,will go out of date.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2001, 10:35:00 AM »
Nah, just fly nice and slow in front of me when I'm trying to shoot you down.  ;)

Offline Primate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2001, 12:45:00 PM »
hehehe