Author Topic: Spitifres  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Spitifres
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2007, 02:11:56 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
I agree that P-38s are far easier to handle and can stay at the top of the vertical climb longer, but if the two started with equal energy the difference is not nearly enough to put the P-38 out of the Spitfire's gun range.  The Spitfire will stall first and more messily, but not before he's hosed the P-38 who is hanging nicely on her propellers.  That's my take on it, anyway.

It really sounds to me like you have a lack of understanding what fighting in the verticle means.  You have very simplistic fights in your descriptions that are nothing more than pure zoom fights.

I am no P-38 ace in AH, but I assure you, the Ki-84 devours Spitfires of all marks in the vertical.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Spitifres
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »
If you're talking about both fighters extending after the merge and making long-term climbs, the Spitfire will win since it is faster and climbs better.  If you're talking about both fighters making an Immelmann after the merge, the Spitfire will win because it Immelmanns faster and tighter.  If you're talking about the P-38 going straight up after the merge and attempting to rope the Spitfire, then the Spitfire will still win because, although he may stall before the P-38 does, he will have plenty of time to hose the P-38 before either of them stalls.

In short, I don't have a large problem fighting in the vertical.  I'm not as good as Murdr or Ack-Ack, but I can beat quite a few of the other respected fliers in this community as often as they beat me, in a fair fight - using the vertical.  And I beat more Spitfires than Spitfires beat me.  But if you're regularly beating Spitfire Mark XVIs in an equal energy dogfight, you're not flying against pilots who know their ship.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Spitifres
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2007, 12:54:39 PM »
No, I am talking about sustained vertical fighting.

Think turn fight/scissors/brawling, but going up and down instead of round and round.

I have been in many of them and the only plane that gives me a problem is the P-38 when I am in the Ki-84, barring, of course, significantly superior pilots.

None of what you are describing is really "fighting in the vertical" though.  You are just mentioning a subset of manuvers, some of which are part of fighting in the vertical and some of which are not.  The ones you are mentioning are, unsurprisingly given your bent, the ones that hand the game to the Spitfire and not the ones that hand the game to the P-38/Ki-84.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Spitifres
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2007, 08:42:03 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about.  All of the maneuvers I described are performed purely in the vertical, with no rolling or turning involved.

Offline sonic23

• Nickel Member
Spitifres
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2007, 09:56:16 PM »
Whats a spitfire?
Sonic23 ++Blue Knights++
Sonic27 -==Hell Hounds==-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Spitifres
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2007, 12:51:31 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
If you're talking about both fighters extending after the merge and making long-term climbs, the Spitfire will win since it is faster and climbs better.  If you're talking about both fighters making an Immelmann after the merge, the Spitfire will win because it Immelmanns faster and tighter.  If you're talking about the P-38 going straight up after the merge and attempting to rope the Spitfire, then the Spitfire will still win because, although he may stall before the P-38 does, he will have plenty of time to hose the P-38 before either of them stalls.

Wrong.  The problem seems that you do not have a true understanding of what the P-38 is capable of in the vertical.   And that is why I was able to beat you so quickly when we fought.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Spitifres
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2007, 01:37:32 AM »
We'll have to try again sometime.  I'd only been playing Aces High for about a month when we flew - and I've had hand surgury since then, which has done much to improve my control.  How about it?