Author Topic: P 38 training and general gunnery?  (Read 756 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
P 38 training and general gunnery?
« on: February 25, 2007, 11:50:30 PM »
hi all,
well, here's my problem.......gunnery sucks.........and as much as i love the p38, i CANNOT for the life of me survive a fight in it. i filled out the training request on the trainers website about 1 1/2 months ago......i know all you guys are busy, but what does one have to do to get training? i never find a trainer in the TA, and when someone does volenteer to help(and it is GREATLY appreciated!) they always seem to make easy targets. is there any way at all in TA to simulate the same combat conditions we have in the MA's?

Murdr, if you're reading this, i'd definitly appreciate any more help i can get from ya dude!
 anyone at all thats good with either, i can make myself available almost any evening, except for thursdays.........

my email is:
rford268539@aol.com

thanks in advance for any help from any of you guys and gals!!!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:19:54 AM »
I'm not a 38 pilot but we can practice your gunnery. I should be on tomorrow night. How late are you on? What are your exact hours?
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 10:04:54 AM »
Hi Cap,

I'm Traveler and I'm the XO with the 113th Lucky Strikes.   The Lucky Strikes is a P38 Squad.  On our Squad night (Saturday night 7: PM EST, Vox 113, Knights, Late War Arena) we fly nothing but P38's the L and J models.  We use the L for attack mode and the J's for fighter mode.  We train and fly formations; we use wingman tactics and practice radio discipline, preflight briefings, assigned targets, ingress and egress altitudes, returning to base to fight another day.  We are less concerned with score and more concerned with team work.  The CO is Gunston.  But come check us out fly with us for a few weeks and see if you are interested in our type of game play.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: P 38 training and general gunnery?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 10:53:59 AM »
Originally posted by CAP1
i filled out the training request on the trainers website about 1 1/2 months ago......i know all you guys are busy, but what does one have to do to get training? i never find a trainer in the TA,

Murdr, if you're reading this, i'd definitly appreciate any more help i can get from ya dude!
 anyone at all thats good with either, i can make myself available almost any evening, except for thursdays.........

Hello CAP1,
you should receive a reply, regarding your request very soon, from your post it looks like you have already talked or met up with Murdr at least .......

the Trainers have even noted this thread in our forum, and apologize if you feel you have been overlooked.......115 +   requests ( last time I took  count  a while ago ) since January.......

We are working on a way to make Trainer's Time more frequent and available to all.......

one thing I would like to point out, I have the ability to see all trainers online when I am online,  and there has been very little times in the past  2 weeks that there has been less than 1 trainer in the TA, usually 2 or 3 from 8/9 am est to 12am/1am est thru out the day..........yesterday 6 different Trainers were online thru the day with most times 2 or 3 in the TA at a given time......

I was even there in the TA twice while you was online and  never saw you ask 1 question or ask for help ( unless you was asking on F12 local range VOX, nothing on country channel or Channel 1 ) not saying you did not ask for help, just saying I did not see you ask for help....

We are here to help, again we apologize if you feel we have overlooked you, we are addressing the issue though. and we can not guarantee to have a Trainer in the Training Arena 24/7 day in and day out........remember every Trainer is a Trainer voluntarily only.........shoot us an email to the trainers email if you do not hear from 1 of us within 48 hrs, please sir......

~SALUTE~
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 03:53:47 PM »
I'm not a 38 pilot but we can practice your gunnery. I should be on tomorrow night. How late are you on? What are your exact hours?

hi Superdud.....thanks!!

i'll be on somewhere around 9PM est till whenever i happen to log off(at least 1pm) unfortunatley, i won't be home before then tonight........i'll pop into TA first to see if you're there? my in-game id is 1ltcap.

thanks much!! i do appreciate it!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »
hey Traveler,
i'll try to be in there this saturday......you'll have to understand though...i've rarely been in late war. which late war do i look for you in?

thanks for the offer!!!!

john
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 04:05:29 PM »
""you should receive a reply, regarding your request very soon, from your post it looks like you have already talked or met up with Murdr at least .......
the Trainers have even noted this thread in our forum, and apologize if you feel you have been overlooked.......115 + requests ( last time I took count a while ago ) since January.......""

hey TC, now i feel bad...........that comment wasn't intended as a shot at anyone.....if it was taken that way, i do apologize to you all, as i do realize that trainers are volenteering their time to help us noobs, when they could be havin even more fun killin us:lol .......it was simply noting to anyone else who'd read my post that i had already sent in a request(because when you read requests like mine, a bunch of people come on and tell the guy to seek a trainer:) ).
 and yes, i have talked to murdr, but that was before christmas. he had given me a couple pointers, and i know a little(very little) about flap management.  
 in referenct to when you saw me in TA, i thinkn that might've been the other night.......and i was talking on VOX to Hammer, while i was trying to keep his six. he also gave me a few pointers, but also told me that he had just started to fly the 38.(he was very patient and helpful too) i dunno if he was a trainer or not, but he answered mine, and others questions.:lol

also, i saw a couple other offers of help, and replied to them too.........and it IS VERY much appreciated!!!

thanks!!!
john(1ltcap)
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 05:42:18 PM »
Sounds good, I'll try to meet you at 9 tonight. If I don't see you I'll stop by again about 10 and look for you.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 06:43:46 PM »
1LT, been busy.  Just lost a hard drive last week.  Also, Ive been "on leave" from scheduled training for a couple weeks due to hectic schedule.  Instead Ive been just showing up in the TA as I have time and helping first come, first serve, plus adding stuff to trainers site.  You and another guy have first dibs, the next I see either in the TA.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 08:16:28 PM »
""1LT, been busy. Just lost a hard drive last week. Also, Ive been "on leave" from scheduled training for a couple weeks due to hectic schedule. Instead Ive been just showing up in the TA as I have time and helping first come, first serve, plus adding stuff to trainers site. You and another guy have first dibs, the next I see either in the TA.""

Murdr,
thank you VERY much!!
 like i said, what i said about the form wasn't intended as a shot at anyone, as i know you guys all do this on a volenteer basis......i only wanted anyone who might be able to help to realize that i did go there too.

hope to see ya soon!!!!

john(1ltcap)
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 06:35:28 AM »
Originally posted by CAP1

hey TC, now i feel bad...........that comment wasn't intended as a shot at anyone.....if it was taken that way, i do apologize to you all,  

no worries, and no apology needed, it was not taken that way CAP. We just don't want to over look anyone if possible.......

~S~
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Crousader

• Zinc Member
Re: P 38 training and general gunnery?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 09:23:18 PM »
[Hey Cap,
 I'm right there with you I'm falling hard for the P-38 myself. I'm usually in the training area sometime past 7PM EST we can spar. I'll even bring a B-24 for intercepting!

Crouze in the air

QUOTE]Originally posted by CAP1
hi all,
well, here's my problem.......gunnery sucks.........and as much as i love the p38, i CANNOT for the life of me survive a fight in it. i filled out the training request on the trainers website about 1 1/2 months ago......i know all you guys are busy, but what does one have to do to get training? i never find a trainer in the TA, and when someone does volenteer to help(and it is GREATLY appreciated!) they always seem to make easy targets. is there any way at all in TA to simulate the same combat conditions we have in the MA's?

my email is:
rford268539@aol.com

thanks in advance for any help from any of you guys and gals!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Offline SkyGnome

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 12:36:38 PM »
One very simple solo excercise for gunnery that helped me in the past was this:

Go to TA or offline, and bring up the target at some reasonable range: ".target 300".

Now put one bullet in each corner near where the largest circle is.

Then try to go from corner to corner shooting as close as you can to your previous shot.

Mix up the order that you shoot them, mix up whether you bank to the next one or use rudder, shoot inverted, etc.

This doesn't help you with lead, but it really helps you learn to control your nose very precisely, and to fire EXACTLY where you want to, instead of in the general area.

As to the '38, it's not a very easy bird to fly competitively in the LW MAs.  Unless you can exploit it's strengths, it's a downright mediocre performer - and exploiting its strengths requires a really good sense of the state of you and your enemy (which takes a lot longer than months to develop.)  Basically, it has the ability to fly very slow and/or at rediculous orientations due to its monster flaps and counter-rotating engines.  This is much tougher strength to exploit than say an LA7's combination of speed/accelleration/handling/climb, or a typhoons stupendous firepower and low-alt speed.  However, once you get good with the '38, there's no need to run from any 1v1 (except the 163, perhaps).  Basically, I'd recommend giving up on it until you get really good in an easier plane, and hone your skills at recognizing the E and angle state of you and your opponent at all times, and get good with combat flap use.  It's also a lot more competitive when flown in a basic manner in the MW arena, if you can find a fight there.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:39:14 PM by SkyGnome »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 05:19:10 PM »
Originally posted by SkyGnome
it's a downright mediocre performer - .

No it's not, not by a long shot.  Well, maybe by those that aren't very experienced in flying one.  But in AH and in reality, it's a jack of all trades.  Doesn't excel in one area but performs well in all areas.  Hardly the description of a "mediocre" performer.  YMMV.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song