Author Topic: Catapulting backwards off of CV  (Read 473 times)

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
Catapulting backwards off of CV
« on: March 22, 2007, 11:32:16 AM »
All,

I'm probably doing something really noobish but last night I landed 2X on CV and the CV sailed out from under me. Gear and tailhook were down. It almost appeared like I was slung off the CV by the arrestor cables. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:56:39 AM »
If your throttle is not at full idle when you trap...you will catapult off the back of the carrier upon landing.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:44:05 PM »
It's one of the oldest tricks in the book I'm afraid. If you don't have enouugh deadband on your throttle, it can realy bug you till you figure it out.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »
turn your engine(s) off just before you land. or land with out using the tail hook and with brakes engaged.

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 03:32:52 PM »
Thanks Gentlemen,

I have landed sucessfully on a CV before. I guess I was lucky those times and was throttling down on landing:)

Cheers,

gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 10:20:23 AM »
It's a bug.... Arresting cable and and arresting gear engines are not slingshots.... It's been this way for a long time.

Another long-term bug relates to the frictionless tires. The ship turns, but a plane taxiing goes straight.

Both bugs utilize alternate universe physics.

Perhaps these things will be addressed by HTC some day.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 11:34:34 AM »
This "bug" is not bad.  It also makes it possible to back up on the deck before take-off.  It helps to get a little bit more runway when launching when our heavy.  And it allows you move back to re-arm on the deck.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 12:35:55 PM »
Originally posted by GunnerCAF
This "bug" is not bad.  It also makes it possible to back up on the deck before take-off.  It helps to get a little bit more runway when launching when our heavy.  And it allows you move back to re-arm on the deck.

Gunner

You realize that you can get any carrier plane off the deck fully loaded, if you use full flaps and WEP on the takeoff run? There's never any reason to back up beyond the spawn location.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 07:58:41 PM »
You realize that you can get any carrier plane off the deck fully loaded, if you use full flaps and WEP on the takeoff run? There's never any reason to back up beyond the spawn location.

Yep, I can do it.  But that doesn't mean having a few extra feet isn't a good thing. :)

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force