Author Topic: x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?  (Read 946 times)

Offline THO673

• Zinc Member
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« on: May 25, 2007, 05:46:17 AM »
I have a logitech extreme 3D pro, about 6 months old. I must agree with all who have said that it is basically a throw away J/S. Within 2 months it was losing reaction, and now has so much free play it is all but useless. I learned from racing Nascar 2xxx since 2000 that a wheel is not a wheel. i had a $100 plastic wheel and went to a $400 TSW2 W/ANALOG POTS. My lap speeds and control increased dramatically. i now have a tsw evolution all digital w/optical sensors, and speeds have improved even more. So i know a good control device makes a difference. i have seen both the x52 pro, and HOTAS for roughly the same price. however i have seen what appears to be the same HOTAS stick for as much as 2 times the price on the same websight with the exact description for both other than the weight. one being 19lbs the other 23. i can see no other difference. So my question is which would you buy leaving out the cost difference. I simply want the best controller. thanks for all input. THO67

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:09:56 AM »
Cougar pots suck. Had one, sold it.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:45:37 AM »
From what I've heard from flying and being a trainer here since it started if you want top end gear, go CH.

Now, personally I started a LONG long time ago on a MS Sidewinder stick with twist rudder and at this point I doubt I'll ever switch. Simply not worth relearning everything from scratch.

With money not being an object, that pushes you even farther into the CH camp.

Unless, your a big beefy man who likes power steering by armstrong. In which case you may want to look at something like a cougar with hall sensors upgrade.

Offline THO673

• Zinc Member
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:14:41 AM »
6'4" 350+ so no power steering needed. could the different upgraded pots in the cougar be the huge price differnce just not spelled out in the specs? thanx for the advice. as for CH i have looked at some of their equipment and it seems to be geared more at flight sims such as microsoft FS X and not for combat purposes. maybe i just haven't looked enough.

Offline McDeath

• Nickel Member
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 09:44:42 AM »
Unless you get a modded cougar I'd go with CH. I had tons of problems with my factory cougar, just use the throttle anymore. Unless you like constantly taking apart and messing with the cougar and replacing its parts.

Seems CH is the best way to go, they also make industrial joystics for heavy equipment etc. So they're "real world" tough.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:47:43 AM by McDeath »
flying as                     
Voudou  III/JG11 BOG
71Sqn./USMC
When we are done with you, you are going to wish your Daddy pulled out early!
"Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop

Offline sidneylopsides

• Zinc Member
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 09:58:22 AM »
I just got an X52 Pro, nearly got a HOTAS Cougar, but after reading the reviews the Cougar seems to unreliable. Only been using the X52 Pro today but it's very good.
 I believe getting a CH setup would cost quite a bit more?

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 07:42:25 PM »
I simply want the best controller.

Ch Products is what you want , a full set .

I like the USB Combat stick over the Fighterstick because it has a one button for cannons v 4 way hat switch . But alot more like the Fighterstick .

Money for me wasn't the issue for me . I want something to have fun with , not work on and not have to replace every few months .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline THO673

• Zinc Member
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 09:02:39 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I found a webpage called Cougar World. It is a pretty big sight dedicated primarily to the HOTAS Cougar but also has info about various sims and how to build a cockpit etc. I think most here would enjoy at least some of the content. It didn't take long onthe tech forum to see that the first thing you must do with a Cougar after you take it out of the box is take it apart and start with modifications, from simply applying grease to entire inner reworks and sensor packages. I am building a new system to replace my current which is a
p4 3ghz ht
2 gb ddram
ATI SAPHIRE 1600X 512 BIT CARD
AUDIGY ZS 2
80 GB HD
20 GB HD
DVD
CDRW
5.1 ANALOG SURROND SOUND SPEAKERS

NEW WILL BE
DUAL CORE HIGHEST SPEED AVAILABLE
4 GB RAM FASTEST AVAILABLE
120GB WESTERN DIGITAL HD
REUSE 80GB HD FOR MUSIC AND STORAGE OF OLDER FILES
TWIN VIDEO CARDS ATI OR NVIDEA "INPUT ON WHICH BRAND AND CARD APPRECIATED"
AUDIGY TOP END XFI SOUND CARD
5.1 OR 7.1 DIGITAL SPEAKERS
LARGEST FLAT PANEL MONITOR OR POSSIBLY A HD TV 42" PLASMA

HAVING LASIK SURGERY TO CORECT ASTIGMATISM WHICH CURRENTLY LIMITS HOW WELL I SEE GAUGES AND OTHER PLANES, SO AFTER THE SURGERY AND NEW COMPUTER I WILL BEGIN BUILDING A FUNCTIONAL COCKPIT. WITH THE ABILITY TO SWAP TO RACING COCKPIT. I hope more of you will keep sending your ideas for this project and i will post updates with pics as soon as the new build gets underway. I saw some very nice rigs surfing earlier today and got some really good ideas. It is down to digging up the coffe cans and deciding exactly what will best suit my style and needs. As i said i am NFL lineman big so comfort is a must and plastic controlers don't fair well in the long run with the amount of force i put on them. Again thanks for any and all input.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 10:45:40 PM »
there's a place in Mississauga, Ontario  (aircombatzone.com) that runs F-18 sims on a big screen.  i.e. 10 ft x 20 ft. I'd have really been impressed if the resolution was better...not very good definition..but...anyway

Basically, it's a commercial AH using jets. The wife bought me a session down there because she knows I'm addicted to this one.
It's got the mock cockpit setup and the whole bit.  They use CH products. And they very, very, rarely have a problem with them.  So if you have kids and drunkards wailing away on these joysticks.....you know they're built to last

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 12:27:55 AM »
I am one of the lucky ones with the Cougar. I bought it in a preorder state and then received it about a month after they hit the market. I have a little more center play and will be getting a mod from IJ over at the Cougar World site; but other than that the center play in my Cougar has never been more than 2-4 mm which is where it is now.

I have had all kinds of sticks and love my Cougar. I am a big guy as well and a former O lineman in college. Let me know if you need any help in getting in touch with those guys. I have a 2nd set of TM RCS pedals that are waiting for the modifications that a guy who goes by cubpilot does for them.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
x52 pro or HOTAS cougar?
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 01:14:01 PM »
I bought an x52 4 months ago at Best buy, with 3 year replacement warrenty it was still only $120 or so, thought it was a good deal at a third the cost of a similar CH setup.  Ch is good but the $$ kept me away.