« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »
you really have to read it more than once to fully appreciate it:D
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Vets
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2007, 01:08:23 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
Kewessa describes one of three player types in AH. Pick the one that fits....

1) The score hounds: These people will fly for kills or bomb damage only. They won't EVER bail for troops or to defend another base. They will rarely intentionally put themselves in danger. They MUST land the kills they get. Score/rank is all important.

2) The furballers: These people love the fight. Even though the fight serves no purpose other than chest thumping. Score/rank means little to these players.

3) The full immersion player: These people will do anything it takes to defend or take a base. Bailing for troops, to jump in a GV, sacrificing themselves to kill inbound troops or to defend another base is not uncommon. Score/rank means nothing to these players.

I am each and every one of these and others not described at different times depending on my mood, what I want to fly, what I want to try to accomplish, etc.  This pigeon-holing is no different than Kweassa's attempt to describe all "vets" with broad brush strokes.

Sure, there probably are players who fit into one and only one of these (or other) catagories.  And maybe they don't get along, but I spend as much time furballing as milkrunning as base-taking as... well, more time furballing and yes, sometimes even cherry-picking.

While I get the most satisfaction from a great fight in a fighter, be it one on one, me on many or in a furball, I also like other styles of play and all of the facets of the game.  I enjoy vehicles, bombers, attack missions, base captures, base defense, ship gunning, etc., etc., etc.

While I claim to, and do regularily fly alone into heavy enemy situations, I sometimes find the hoard comforting.  It allows me to relax a little and hopefully pick up a couple of kills.  While I claim to like furballing I also like high-alt buff hunting.

For me nothing in the game is off-limits.  I try to enjoy everything the game has to offer at different times including some activities looked down upon by others.  If it's possible, I'll try it.

Through all of this, I usually seem to get along fine with most around me.  I'll help where needed but rarely ask for help.  If I'm in a position where I need help it's usually because I put myself there on purpose.

As to why did I start this post or what's my beef with Kweassa, I didn't like the way he portrayed ALL veteren players as score-whoring cherry-pickers (and yes, he did say ALL "vets" which is why I carried it over to this forum... to gain a broader response) and was particularily annoyed that he did so in the Help and Training Forum frequented by Noobs.  Is this what we, as a community want them to learn?

I don't want to be painted by that broad brush-stroke and while I don't help the noobs out when in the arenas, I do frequent the Help and Training Forum to give answers where I have them, encouragement where I can and advice that I hope they find useful.  Their development is good for all of us.  Not that I'm nobel or anything because once in the arenas they are just more dead meat to me.

I've never claimed to be the best pilot but after almost 11 years I like to think I do OK and I'm a little bit proud of my flight-sim "vet" status.  If, because of that experience, I can offer something up that will help a noob become a better pilot so I can have another worthy adversary then, within limits (i.e. don't bug me in the arenas), that's what I'll do.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
Vets
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2007, 01:16:05 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
Funny!  But then again you have gotten  upset at my arrogance before!

Mark

Huh.  Your boyfriend told me you were really sweet and sensitive.

Go figure.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Vets
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2007, 01:39:57 PM »
Originally posted by Yknurd
My boyfriend told me I am really sweet and sensitive.

Go figure.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like you!  

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Vets
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2007, 02:54:17 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I am each and every one of these and others not described at different times depending on my mood, what I want to fly, what I want to try to accomplish, etc.  This pigeon-holing is no different than Kweassa's attempt to describe all "vets" with broad brush strokes.

Sure, there probably are players who fit into one and only one of these (or other) catagories.  And maybe they don't get along, but I spend as much time furballing as milkrunning as base-taking as... well, more time furballing and yes, sometimes even cherry-picking.

While I get the most satisfaction from a great fight in a fighter, be it one on one, me on many or in a furball, I also like other styles of play and all of the facets of the game.  I enjoy vehicles, bombers, attack missions, base captures, base defense, ship gunning, etc., etc., etc.

While I claim to, and do regularily fly alone into heavy enemy situations, I sometimes find the hoard comforting.  It allows me to relax a little and hopefully pick up a couple of kills.  While I claim to like furballing I also like high-alt buff hunting.

For me nothing in the game is off-limits.  I try to enjoy everything the game has to offer at different times including some activities looked down upon by others.  If it's possible, I'll try it.

Through all of this, I usually seem to get along fine with most around me.  I'll help where needed but rarely ask for help.  If I'm in a position where I need help it's usually because I put myself there on purpose.

As to why did I start this post or what's my beef with Kweassa, I didn't like the way he portrayed ALL veteren players as score-whoring cherry-pickers (and yes, he did say ALL "vets" which is why I carried it over to this forum... to gain a broader response) and was particularily annoyed that he did so in the Help and Training Forum frequented by Noobs.  Is this what we, as a community want them to learn?

I don't want to be painted by that broad brush-stroke and while I don't help the noobs out when in the arenas, I do frequent the Help and Training Forum to give answers where I have them, encouragement where I can and advice that I hope they find useful.  Their development is good for all of us.  Not that I'm nobel or anything because once in the arenas they are just more dead meat to me.

I've never claimed to be the best pilot but after almost 11 years I like to think I do OK and I'm a little bit proud of my flight-sim "vet" status.  If, because of that experience, I can offer something up that will help a noob become a better pilot so I can have another worthy adversary then, within limits (i.e. don't bug me in the arenas), that's what I'll do.

You probably accurately described many of the vets with this post.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
Vets
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2007, 03:14:20 PM »
Yeah, that doesn't sound like you!  

Mark

LOL.  Didn't take you long to respond.

Dance monkey!  Dance!!1ONE
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Vets
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2007, 05:40:14 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Let's see them prove themselves true in the parts of the map I fly in.

Out of curiosity, what part of the map is that?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Vets
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2007, 06:24:03 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
There we have it folks, the crux of Kweassa's rant.  His feelings have been hurt and he's lashing out.  

In his mind, he's a true "Elite Vet" and he's just been waiting for someone to mention him in one of those dreadful "Who's the best..." threads.  He runs home from work every day and flips on the computer just to see if someone has started one of those threads about him.  Of course he's sad and heartbroken when he doesn't see one so he quickly checks the trainer/help forum to see if anyone has posted asking for his help to fly such and such plane.  But sadly, this too does not happen and poor Kweassa is crushed.  After all these years without recognition as one of the "Elite" the burden has just become too much for our Kweassa to shoulder and he's lashing out with what amounts to a forum version of a 5 year old temper tantrum.

ack-ack

Kweassa's always been even easier than you :cool: P38's are just such a big target...
Army of Muppets

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Vets
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2007, 06:27:45 PM »
Not any more!  hee hee  I been practicing!:D
Now hurry up and get a comp working! :aok

Mark
Gonna be a while... racked up a pretty big debt over the last couple semesters :( I'm afraid my credit rating is going to have to take precedent over PC parts when I have a mac that works just fine :mad:
Army of Muppets

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Vets
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2007, 10:38:09 PM »
Originally posted by wetrat
a wetrat is a beaver you perverts

I thought a wetrat was nothing more than a lemming................:D

hurry back wetrat.........;)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Vets
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2007, 10:38:47 PM »
Originally posted by wetrat
Gonna be a while... racked up a pretty big debt over the last couple semesters :( I'm afraid my credit rating is going to have to take precedent over PC parts when I have a mac that works just fine :mad:

Just post what you need to get flying, many of us will share what have to get you flying!

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"