Author Topic: Engine Damage  (Read 489 times)

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
Engine Damage
« on: May 01, 2007, 01:43:12 PM »
Anyone ever requested an engine damage sound effect?  Whenever your engine oil/Radiator are hit, use a damaged engine sound.  If you have ever played IL-2/Pacific fighters, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
Engine Damage
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 03:10:33 PM »
i like the idea, an wouldnt be too hard to add this effect.

also ide like to see some RPM drop to shot engines, just cuz now its not performing at full capacity due to bullets in the cylinders etc.:D
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
Engine Damage
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 04:13:11 PM »
I'd like to see that and actual heat implemented too.

Sea level vs. 20k had a lot to do with engine over heating and performance.  It only overheats now with wep on or if the radiator is hit.  Many of the craft we are flying were not capable of indefinite full power operation on sea level.  This would add an important factor to the aircraft balance.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Engine Damage
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 04:32:11 PM »
Several planes were noted to fly on without diminished power even after taking significant damage. Either an LA pilot or a 190 pilot (either the LA shot the 190, or the 190 shot the LA, I don't recall) had 2 of his cylinders shattered and flew on. He said he didn't notice any diminished power.

Several P47s have taken significant damage to the engine and kept flying without trouble.

Currently AH models only radiator damage and oil system damage. IMO those are supporting the engine, not the engine itself. Maybe we just have stronger engines, like all those stories where a Spit1 spewing oil, glycol, gas, and all other sorts of fluids flew on back across the channel to england and safely bailed over Dover, or safely landed in a country field?

Engines didn't seem to conk out immediately, as IL2 would have you think (take a hit anywhere in the engine and you lose 50% of your power within 15 seconds in that game).

EDIT: I'm all for a more complex engine damage system, don't get me wrong. I just don't want what IL2 has. I would like a new sound, if the engine lost power, and depending on the type of damage you would lose power (but only if the damage was related to that power loss).

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
Engine Damage
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:45:21 PM »
I would not need a engine hit sound.
would rather have a damaged engine sound played after the engine is hit.

Have it sputter and choke, cut in and out .ect

:aok
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Engine Damage
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 05:01:27 PM »
I think that's what he meant in the original post.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Engine Damage
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 08:23:11 PM »
Originally posted by 68Hawk
I'd like to see that and actual heat implemented too.

Sea level vs. 20k had a lot to do with engine over heating and performance.  It only overheats now with wep on or if the radiator is hit.  Many of the craft we are flying were not capable of indefinite full power operation on sea level.  This would add an important factor to the aircraft balance.

Hitech has stated before in numerous other threads on this subject (SPOILER ALERT! BBS Search function) that complex engine management such as that might work good for a boxed game such as IL2 but in a MMO such as AH, you have to balance out realism with game play.  Same reason why we have auto-retracting flaps instead of full manually controlled flaps.  People want to spend time flying and fighting instead of worrying about complex engine management.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Engine Damage
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »
Actually I think he said he did the flaps auto because folks would leave them out until they break, then b**ch and moan about "they wouldn't break instantly! They'd have n% of leeway!" and it was basically a cop-out to get them to last longer than they do. Way around that is just to retract them automatically all at the same speed, no b**ching about "they shouldn't have snapped off, even though I left them out well past the rated speed!"

That kinda thing.

IMO I'd rather have them snap off, but HT doesn't wanna deal with the whines it would generate. EDIT: Can't blame him.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Engine Damage
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 09:40:27 PM »
That was one of the reasons but the main reason HiTech cited was game play.  His logic was, like complex engine management, it would detract from the game play since the player would pay more attention to trying to keep his plane in the air then "playing the game".

It's a legitimate point and one that's hard to keep a balance.  How realistic do you make a game?  Do you sacrifice game play for realism and risk driving away a good portion of the player base or cater to the minority that want realism over game play?  From a developers stand point, it's a tough balance.

ack-ack

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
Engine Damage
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 10:23:40 PM »
I didn't mean a loss of power or anything with engine damage, just a different sound.  With sputtering and things clanging around in the engine.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Engine Damage
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 02:27:16 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
That was one of the reasons but the main reason HiTech cited was game play.  His logic was, like complex engine management, it would detract from the game play since the player would pay more attention to trying to keep his plane in the air then "playing the game".

It's a legitimate point and one that's hard to keep a balance.  How realistic do you make a game?  Do you sacrifice game play for realism and risk driving away a good portion of the player base or cater to the minority that want realism over game play?  From a developers stand point, it's a tough balance.

ack-ack

Can't it be both?  more realism might make it a better game to play.  just a thought.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Engine Damage
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler
Can't it be both?  more realism might make it a better game to play.  just a thought.

yes but it's a tough balance to maintain.  How realistic can you make it without sacrificing game play?  Remember that AH is no longer just a niche game as the recent influx of new players has shown.  3-4 years ago when AH was a niche game that catered mostly to the hardcore flight sim player then maybe you could sacrifice some game play for realism but now, it's much harder to do.  

IMHO, HiTech has struck almost the perfect balance between the two.

ack-ack