Author Topic: Fuel Burn X2 in arenas.... why?  (Read 670 times)

Offline Preston1

• Zinc Member
Fuel Burn X2 in arenas.... why?
« on: May 21, 2007, 03:55:21 AM »
Just wondering if there is a logical answer as to why the fuel burn rate in the arenas is X2 normal rate??  for the most part it isnt a bad thing, you usually run out of ammo before fuel, but in planes like the Me's, Tempest and a few others, I almost always burn fuel faster than ammo....  It seems to me if the burn was set at normal rate, you would still need to RTB for ammo before fuel in ALL planes.....:aok

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:15:01 AM »
well in games like this ... the bases are closer together . the time taken to get to the fight is alot faster then in real life. and in game time the fuel burn needs to be 2x's faster  to match this .

if you use the E6B and slow down your rpm /and or manifold pressure you can get alot of distance in the planes even at 2x fuel burn .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 04:42:31 AM »
Aircraft like the LA-7 and Spits perform so well partly because less of their total weight was fuel tanks and fuel compared to many US and Japanese planes. Bigger fuel tanks also imply extra armour protection and a bulkier airframe, all of which adds weight and drag.

The MA enviroment has most fights taking place within 25 miles of base. This doesn't give the longer ranged planes like the P-51 a chance to exploit their historical endurance advantage over shorter ranged planes. The fuel burn multiplier is simply a device to restore some of this historical advantage.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:56:30 AM »
Originally posted by Greebo
The fuel burn multiplier is simply a device to restore some of this historical advantage.

Sorry ??????

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »
HTC implemented the FBM so that fuel load and management would play a role. It was a very significant issue in life. HT likes it that way and that's the real reason. Many player like myself enjoy the complexity and planning it adds. Others hate it since they can't fly at full throttle in their Tiffy/Spit16/whatever for 30 minutes.

If your throttle is a boolean switch and you'd be happy if you could load 1 Oz. of fuel on your plane. That's too bad for you because HT said before it's not about to change.

And no, it is not to give american rides an advantage. The Merlins may enjoy this, but it actually screws the fuel hangry big radials.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:19:48 AM »
It has been discussed ad nauseam ...

In short : it transform long range fighters into  chimeric tactical fighters they never were.

storch

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:24:16 AM »
play in the AvA (axis vs allied arena).  fuel burn is 1.0  you can furball with 50% run out of ammo and RTB with fuel.  many players up a mere 25% and do well.  don't be put off by low numbers, chances are even if there is only one person on you will get a good fight.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 07:30:44 AM »
Originally it was theorised that because we had no 1 - 1 scale maps we needed the 2x multiplier to balance things.  However with the option for bigger maps that is no longer valid, and hasn't been for a long time.

Part of it is balance, without the 2x multiplier the short ranged fighters would have a distinct advantage. You'd see 3 x as many la's and yaks as you do now.

Part of it is the way the arena is setup, and that won't change as long as we have a open main arena where you don't have to fly 200 - 600 miles to attack the enemy.

As much simulation as AH is, in many respects it can never duplicate the Battle of Briton. Your simply not going to be able to have 109's over dover knowing they have 5 - 10 minutes to mix it up then they HAVE to rtb or they are going to be ditching in the channel.

Myself I think the time has come for a new arena. One that is built to scale, with historic distances, with no spitfires fighting spitfires. The problem with that is that people always want to be on the winning side, so which ever side has the advantage, always ends up outnumbering the other side. Which I suppose leads us to why HTC is trying to develop the CT concept.