Author Topic: iPhone email address going for $200+ on eBay  (Read 239 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
iPhone email address going for $200+ on eBay
« on: June 30, 2007, 07:50:44 AM »
Some DA is a about to get ripped off. They are thinking they are buying a "unlocked" iPhone but if they would read the description it would tell them this is only an email addy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unlocked-Iphones-4sale-hotmail-com-Email-Address_W0QQitemZ190127530403QQihZ009QQcategoryZ102333QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:24:46 AM »
The hype seems to be successful marketing. I don't see it.
To change tunes or videos requires a PC a USB cable and iTunes software. (Surprised you didn't see this in any of the press accounts?) This misses the entire benefit of a wireless device. You might as well tape an iPod to your existing phone because that's all the iPhone is.

Apparently there is no way to use the WiFi to make phone calls, which Cingular insisted be blocked to protect their voice business. (Most telcos fear VOIP calls and believe they can slow or stop its adoption.) While iPhone advertises WiFi, I'd they don't really support WiFi, but "wiff" a partial implementation popular by companies trying to lock consumers in. Wiff companies either limit what hotspots you can connect to as Earthlink's does in their ridiculous VOIP phone, or they limit what you can use the WiFi for, as Apple does.

The iPhone's wiff can be used for web and email access, but without a real keyboard it's pretty cumbersome for any meaningful e-mail use. The touch screen keyboard lacks the "feel" feedback necessary to locate and depress keys.

With their iTunes franchise Apple has perfected the art of consumer lock-in with their proprietary itunes DRM. Keepi n mind that the consumer can't play purchased music on anything but Apple equipment.

Apple's intent is to own and control your phone experience. Good luck with that for those of you that prove PT Barnam's philosophy consistently. :)

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/empire21productions
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 04:32:37 PM »
With what Microsoft was, is and will be, I see no difference. I aint buyin one yet though....

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 12:11:18 PM »
Microsoft? :huh
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 04:11:14 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
The hype seems to be successful marketing. I don't see it.
To change tunes or videos requires a PC a USB cable and iTunes software. (Surprised you didn't see this in any of the press accounts?) This misses the entire benefit of a wireless device. You might as well tape an iPod to your existing phone because that's all the iPhone is.

Apparently there is no way to use the WiFi to make phone calls, which Cingular insisted be blocked to protect their voice business. (Most telcos fear VOIP calls and believe they can slow or stop its adoption.) While iPhone advertises WiFi, I'd they don't really support WiFi, but "wiff" a partial implementation popular by companies trying to lock consumers in. Wiff companies either limit what hotspots you can connect to as Earthlink's does in their ridiculous VOIP phone, or they limit what you can use the WiFi for, as Apple does.

The iPhone's wiff can be used for web and email access, but without a real keyboard it's pretty cumbersome for any meaningful e-mail use. The touch screen keyboard lacks the "feel" feedback necessary to locate and depress keys.

With their iTunes franchise Apple has perfected the art of consumer lock-in with their proprietary itunes DRM. Keepi n mind that the consumer can't play purchased music on anything but Apple equipment.

Apple's intent is to own and control your phone experience. Good luck with that for those of you that prove PT Barnam's philosophy consistently. :)

My gawd man, you're quite the cynic.

sand