Author Topic: A few weeks off work ... what to do?  (Read 246 times)

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
A few weeks off work ... what to do?
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:50:42 AM »
I sustained an injury at work to my right distal bicep tendon and had surgery friday 8-3. I'm going to be off work for 3-4 weeks and without the use of my right hand/arm I'm not going to be able to play AH.

I'm looking for some recommended games, preferably free, but if the cost isn't too great I may be able to pick them up.

Right now I've got the complete Command & Conquer series, but I've had and played them for years, so they are getting a little stale.

I picked up the new Command & Conquer a few weeks ago and while it looks pretty ... gameplay is still a little stale.

Also, if anyone knows of any message boards that are interesting I'd like to hear about them.

Basically I'm looking for something to do to waste time between naps.

Any suggestions?
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
Perfect time to learn a new language.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 12:14:17 PM »
My wife used a computer all day long doing AutoCAD and developed carpal tunnel in her right hand.  She taught herself to do everything with the left.  About 20 years ago I had my right arm in a sling for six weeks.  I learned to do quite a bit with my left.  I even swapped motors in a car during that time, left handed only.  Stick with AH and try bombers, boats and vehicles left handed.  After you get used to it try fighters.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »
I think that's the same thing my dad did a few months back, best of luck on the recovery.

You could try to build the ultimate empire on Sim City 4!  Or you could bomb from alt on AH, there are also the other RTS games, Starcraft, Warcraft, Rise of Nations....
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 03:52:38 PM »
I was like 25 or 30 years old before I learned how to jerk off left handed.

Just saying :)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 04:10:46 PM »
No use of the right hand?  Otherwise, I'd recommend the investment in a roller or track ball input device to replace the mouse for now.  1 working finger would do it, right handed.

You could do the AHII community a service by taking a dozen or so squeakers under your wing in TA or war arenas and get them outta our hair.  

Plenty of "free" online games out there, but you have to beware of some of the malware or spyware or adware that they embed with some of it.   If you don't have good antivirus and anti-malware programs on your system, don't jump into that stuff too deep.

Read.  Learn a book!

Online card games with other players?

Learn a language (as suggested).  Rosetta Stone is great for that, but there are cheap programs in bargain bins that work too.  

Get involved in online forums that interest you the most.  Look to see what games coming out in the future interests you and check their fan forums.  Games or whatever.  

Look in the bargain bins at the computer store.  Some cheap older games can be worth playing.  $5 instead of $50.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 05:01:15 PM »
Go to bartenders school.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 06:18:03 PM »
Originally posted by culero
I was like 25 or 30 years old before I learned how to jerk off left handed.

Just saying :)

I'm 37 ... so I've mastered that particular skill.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Its been 3 days  I'm already bored as hell.

Might go to the library & see if they have a copy of Shaws book.

I've thought about spending time in the TA, but the thought of subjecting myself to those high pitched sounds .... there isn't enough Lortab in the world to do that for an extended period.

Plus I suck at hitting anything other than the ground and other players bullets.
Currently flying as "Ruger"

VWE

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 07:03:28 AM »
Why not jump into a tank, spend all day finding the perfect camping spot? Somewhere with good tree cover so someone like me can't drop a widdle egg on your pointy head.