Author Topic: new pc build  (Read 634 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
new pc build
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 01:00:05 PM »
Only thing i'd consider is going with a smaller drive. You can always create logical partitions etc as well. I know that some of the new 150G SATA's are blindingly fast and actually do help gameplay (was a write up somewhere recently). I've gone to the 3 drive architecture with a system drive, data drive and archive/backup/storage drive (using Acronos). I also have dual external drives so i'm beyond overkill...but a 2x150 (or even smaller) with a 500G "data" drive wouldn't be a bad idea with that build IMO.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
new pc build
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
Originally posted by lambo31
I asked Skuzzy about the quad a few days ago, he said it's best to go with a high end duel core.

Lambo

The Quad will give you a little more future proof room.  However, currently very few games are supporting Quad-Core (as they need to be coded to run properly).  I know Valve is making CS:S and their other crap games availble with quad core support (not sure if its done yet but I know they were working on it 6 months ago).  Crysis and other 'big' games of this year will be having quad core support.  Older games is where you'll run into trouble.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
Re: new pc build
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »
I want some thing higher end so that it's not out dated in 3 years like the pc I built last time.

Whatever you do and however much you spend, your PC will be (or feel) outdated in three years time. Fact of life.

I find it more economical to by mid-range stuff and plan on upgrading every 18 months. That way you don't get stuck down a particular technology dead-end (socket 754 anyone :huh  ) for too long.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:46:25 PM by wooley »

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
new pc build
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 12:44:37 AM »
After taking the suggestions from this thread, I've read every thing I could find from reviews to manufacturers pages. I've even read articles on most of the components (every thing I could find). I made my choices and took the leap.
 I got:

Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Card

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo  E6850 (found it for $274 after price cuts went into effect)

CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Seagate Barracuda ES ST3500630NS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

2 LG 18x DVD R Lightscribe Black IDE Model

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Windows XP Pro

After all said and done I came in at just over $2400.

I really feel comfortable with this purchase and can't tell you guys how much I appreciate your help on this.

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline Avaro

• Nickel Member
new pc build
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 07:41:32 PM »
Antec 900 is one of the best cases around! P180's are the best though...Great cooling and its soundproofed!

That psu brand is really good. If your going with air hitsinks go with Tuniq Tower. Theres also a few other good ones but Tuniq tower is at the top. Most nvidia cards get really hot might get a few memory heatsinks. Other than that nice setup!
Das Muppets

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
new pc build
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »
Originally posted by Avaro
That psu brand is really good. If your going with air hitsinks go with Tuniq Tower. Theres also a few other good ones but Tuniq tower is at the top. Most nvidia cards get really hot might get a few memory heatsinks. Other than that nice setup!

Probably going to see little difference betwen the Tuniq and the Zalman unless he pushes for a max overclock on a purely air cooled system.  Stock speeds, who cares.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
new pc build
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »
WOW  thx for the reply's!!!  A lot to re-evaluate. I have decided to go with the P5K3 motherboard. I'm considering the E6700 for the CPU. The rest I just don't know yet since I haven't had time to really look.
 I do know I have a better starting point now than I did 2 days ago.

Lambo

Doesnt that mB only take DDr3?
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
new pc build
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 08:47:12 PM »
Originally posted by Silat
Doesnt that mB only take DDr3?

yes Silat :aok
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
new pc build
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »
yes Silat :aok

Someone tell me why we should go $$$$$$ for ddr3 at this time?
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."