Author Topic: Armor plate  (Read 984 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Armor plate
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 02:03:33 PM »
One thing people are forgetting is that the bullet will tumble after hiting the skin, losing much of its penetration by the time it hits the armor plate.  It is the tumble that robs it of penetration, not radios, supports or whatnot.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Armor plate
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 02:11:39 PM »
I'm curious where you read that. Far be it from me to be a doubting Thomas, but on first glance I don't know if I believe that. There are reports of rounds (specifically cannon, but the same principle applies I think) going through the tail of the craft, through anything behind the pilot, through the armor, the pilot and through the instrument panel. If it tumbled after hitting the skin I think it'd never have made it through the armor.

Perhaps the smaller rifle-caliber rounds tumble, but the heavier 50cal rounds (with their inertia) continue on path?

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Armor plate
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 02:27:50 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
I'm wondering about the effectiveness of armor plate in Aces High II.  It seems to me that it has no chance of stopping anything larger than a thirty caliber bullet.

How do you know when the plate has been hit, should have been hit, or didn't get hit.  Without even knowing if it is modelled or not, I would think that given the rate of fire of the 50s and the number of guns firing, if you get hit around  the pilot areas, you will get a PW.  That been said, I get hit on the glass several times on some days without getting a PW and some other days a single ping does it.  However, when I dont get the PW, I have no idea if the plate stopped the bullet or if it just missed
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 02:38:04 PM by dedalos »
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
Armor plate
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 02:33:28 PM »
Here you guys might or might not find this interesting. Be warned its a lot of reading. I f you want to skim check out Terminal Ballistics on the page.

ballistics

Hope it helps

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Armor plate
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Perhaps the smaller rifle-caliber rounds tumble, but the heavier 50cal rounds (with their inertia) continue on path?

They continue on path (so to .303s) but they tumble and hit the plate at an angle, or sideways or some such in most cases/

A .50 bullet isn't that heavy.  It doesn't take much force to destabilize it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
Armor plate
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
The 50cal API round is a FAR cry from small rifle-caliber rounds. The 50 caliber can pierce a 1/4 in steel plate at 1 mile out, and then ALSO pierce a second 1/4 steel place 3 feet behind THAT one.

Keep that in mind. 50cal API eat through steel like a hot knife through butter.

If you'd been hit by 7mms you might have been safe. Those 50cals are killer. Granted, getting hits that far out is pretty lucky, and the fact they hit your pilot more so.

While you are correct about API .50 cal I think you will find that that round is a later version than the rounds used in WWII.

I believe (I could be wrong) that the .50 cal used in 1943 was "ball" type ammo and some type of Tipped AP round.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
Armor plate
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 03:31:30 PM »
But i thought the .50 we have in the game is a "mix match" of the three types used "for simplicity and lass bandwith sake"

They are like 1/3rd of each type or something.
Thats why you get pilot wounds from so far out.

Normaly even a AP round would have a % chance to bounce off, deflect or punch thru.
If what i understand about our .50's and them being mixed.
Then technecly* each bullet has a +% to the over all damage of the cockpit armor.

Basicly, in real life your plate would have a chance to deflect or block the round.
Because AhII simply add's the damage % by each round, if someone hits you dead six "or whatever" there is a chance that after say 15-50+ rounds hit, it renders that armor useless. "and that doesnt take much time with 4 or more .50's spewing lead like laser guns."

"Throws two cents"

Who da heck knows "Looks at Hitech"
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Armor plate
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 03:32:49 PM »
Originally posted by Boxboy
While you are correct about API .50 cal I think you will find that that round is a later version than the rounds used in WWII.

I believe (I could be wrong) that the .50 cal used in 1943 was "ball" type ammo and some type of Tipped AP round.

Negative, API was very common in WW2. I think it was the most common round type. There's a 1940s or 30s test where an API round just eats through half an inch of steel plating. I've seen the photo before but never saved it to my HD.

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
Armor plate
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 04:30:49 PM »
seriously guys check out the link I posted.