Author Topic: Night of the Broken Glass  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Night of the Broken Glass
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2007, 04:49:25 AM »
What about a smart  chief of police? And the checked out friend is actually 2, and then your own background gets checked as well. 3 checkouts.
As for the crime rates, I have no idea what state that would be, but total murder rate in rural areas of the USA still top the average in the UK.
When you compare Europe to the USA though, it is tricky, for you will have to know what to count within it. Just old W-Europe or also adding the Balcans and states of old commie regime along with Russia all the way to the Urals? If you take that Europe, you have 2-3 times the population of the USA on the same space. If you skip Russia, you go down to 1/2 the area with some cut in the population. Anyway, bottom line is that Europe is more densely populated than the USA by far.
Something I never mentioned, but will do so now, - you'll be surprized!
I am very much against high increase in the number of firearms, as well as an intruduction of conceilable arms in my country as you know. And why?
Well, to tell you the truth, my countryfolks have waaayyy too many ruffians. Icelanders are not particularly civil compared to many nations on the continent of Europe IMHO. The new generations in particular.
The country is also more urbanized than you'd think. Only 2% live in truly rural areas. Although the population is not enough to support a big city, the city area alone holds the majority of the population.
As for foreigners, although not a high % of the population yet, their increase is very steady and has come like a flood in just a few years. Most are okay, but also some very rotten apples. We get normally the lower working classes and petty criminals flushing with them in bundles. Then there are bigger fish, and then also some people with expert knowledge, affection for the country/culture etc etc. All mixing up, good, bad, smart, stupid, etc etc. But they can't buy guns before they are citizens.
So, I'm happy with the set of rules as they are. Most are. And the stats are close to the European ones, which are very much lower than yours....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2007, 10:05:30 AM »
Come on guys.......The enmy would not Invade us to take us over.....they would 1st try to ruin our economy.....also...they will come in a just keep buying our land then just kick us out.....Geez....I think thats happening now!!
  If we were Invaded, 20 million plus Mexicans would run back to their mother land.....another 10 million or so cubans would run back to their country...and the muslems will join the Invading forces and kill us:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  These groups could care less about the American way....they are comming into our country and bringing their way of life in our country.
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2007, 10:08:15 AM »
Why go shooting when you can just go shopping :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2007, 02:56:50 PM »
angus.. even if there were one smart police chief... surely you can see that it is an uneven and thus.... unfair... system?   A friendless person does not mean an evil one.   your system may work from time to time and for a few but only lacking anything better like a computerized background check system and fairness for everyone.

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2007, 12:50:35 PM »
Someone that cannot find 2 persons of sanity and clean criminal record that will sign him in for being responsible enough to have firearms, as well as the arms bearer being clean from violent crime sentences, - well, that sound's quite just to me.
As for the police while asking you like "is there anything to consider when you choose your weapon for a flying bird near populated areas" or "If you have a loaded weapon within a group of people and you have to traverse 180 degrees, what do you do, and where do you point the barrel
?", - well, if you flush a load of those easily, you IMHO should forget the idea of firearms and buy yourself kid-style bow's and arrows. The sillier the Police officer, the more stupid you have to be to flush :D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2007, 02:43:40 PM »
angus..  I don't know if it is the language or the media or culture or what but we don't seem to be understanding each other in even the most basic of ways..

the point is that 2 people saying you are sane does not make you sane..  nor does not being able to find two make you insane.

having some idiot of a police chief decide your fate based on questions... no.. answers to questions that could just as easily be on a form and checked instantly seems not just quaint but... again.. outdated and idiotic.

The point should not be escaping you that criminals will lie... that many are the best liars the planet has produced... certainly better at it than the average man.

you system sucks... if you have success in keeping guns out of the hands of people who should not have them then it is not the fault of your flawed system.

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2007, 04:06:52 AM »
Our system sucks? Well, excuse me, but the whole systems on the continents of the total Yu-rope seem to leava a lot less crime victims than your system, as well as much fewer people in jail.
Our system seems to leave us on the beter end of Europe. So, I'm happy with it. And BTW, if you flush the simple questions at the police, you really have to be so darned stupid, that you should not have a gun :D

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2007, 08:30:57 AM »
well... it didn't quite pan out that way for southern man and segregation.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2007, 08:39:03 AM »
angus..yep.. either we are not understanding each other or you are agreeing with me and don't know it... you said that if the guy flubs simple questions at the police station then he shouldn't have a gun... you are saying that in your country...you are happy with a system that rewards the best liar?

Our system has standardized questions that are instantly checked for truthfulness... no personality involved at all.  Everyone gets the same form.

your-up  would not make me happy.. I won't put up with even one "smash and grab" or riot where I can't shoot back if I have to... I would never be happy with 50% of the burglaries happening when the people were home.    with the kind of rise in crime they have...

What about their gun laws has been good for anyone but the burglar?  the homicide rate stays the same no matter what the gun laws... more gun laws... no less homicides.   They were never anything worth getting upset about in any case.   It was laws that were made for no good reason.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2007, 08:44:01 AM »
torque... ahh... now the canadian will be lecturing us on the southern man and segregation and gun control..

Before you get too wound up tho... are you aware of "jim crow laws"?

They were passed in order to segregate.. in order to keep blacks from having firearms... sooo...

I guess you are right in that the gun laws were ineffective at helping segregation.  In fact...not only were the laws made to keep negros from having guns not effective... they backfired on the people who wanted them... as is the case with most laws that restrict freedom.

Most people are more than willing to restrict everyone elses freedom (angus for example) but are outraged when the same law gets applied to them.

lazs

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2007, 10:14:49 AM »
wound up?... i leave that to the bitter old men and i guess that is why you missed the point.

the point was... the armed citizens capitulated when the govt brought tyranny upon in the form of desegregation.

that would seem to be the best example of govt tyranny forced upon an armed populous for contemporary times.

never mentioned anything about gun control... by all means carry on with your rantings....

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2007, 10:50:52 AM »
Lazs: These are standardized questions asked verbally.
"you are happy with a system that rewards the best liar"

yeah, like being able to lie a correct answer to a tecnical question :D

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2007, 11:02:23 AM »

:rofl

Mac

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2007, 02:47:24 PM »
torque...  the few people who believed in segregation were in the wrong according to the constitution.  

They had the weight of almost an entire nation against them and not just the federal government.    They were breaking just laws.  

Many of these southerners were disarmed by their own jim crow laws that they had used in the past to keep down the negro.

Angus...  if the only questions being asked are technical.. why have a police chief administer em?  would it not make more sense to simply have the person wanting to buy the firearm first pass a standard basic firearms safety test and get a certificate (I have one in my wallet) and then just show it to the person selling the firearm?

Would it then make more sense for the person selling the firearm have the prospective buyer fill out a form with personal info on it (are you crazy etc.) and then submit it for an instant background check?

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »
Actually you will have to be a holder of the licence before you can get the firearm. So, find your firearm, get a pro-forma invoice with the reg number, aquire the licence (with the horrific interview) and then go shoot your gun.
BTW, this was the norm when I took my badge, today it's a tad stiffer. I didn't have to do the course (although it was recommended) so the police basically did the test. Since I had been shooting quite a bit I passed.
BTW, for another licence I never actually bothered taking, you would need a mental check-up. I took the course and passed the test, but didn't want to work with it. That was a poisoned chemical usage licence. (pestisides etc)
Would be nice to know your stance on that....