Author Topic: Ok, who wants to pitch in for a B-26 :-)  (Read 478 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Ok, who wants to pitch in for a B-26 :-)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 04:23:20 AM »
$115K and no bids...
Amazing

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 04:25:17 AM »
Put me down for $100:D

I hope it goes to a good home.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 04:25:24 AM »
Its an A-26K counterinvader modified by Onmark Engineering in Van Nuys before going over to SEA.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 04:29:01 AM »
Maintaining that bird will take a hefty amount of cash annually. I hope nobody that can't take care of it will buy it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 06:41:30 AM »
Originally posted by Wolfala
Its an A-26K counterinvader modified by Onmark Engineering in Van Nuys before going over to SEA.

I was going to say it looked more like an A-26 to me
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:45:29 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
I was going to say it looked more like an A-26 to me

WW2 A-26, Korean War B-26, Vietnam A-26

Douglas Production list  http://www.xs4all.nl/~rioolpw/douglas_longbeach_03.html
28650    A-26C-35-DT    xxx     44-35371   N4818E

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/a26registry/a26-4435371.html

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N4818E.html

http://www.planedesire.com/aircraft/desire/N4818E/details.html

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/1944_3.html

it also looks like there is a USAF accident report from June 1950 available
http://www.aviationarchaeology.org/src/1950s/1950Jun.htm

Date:500630  
Aircraft Type: TB-26C  
Serial Number: 44-35371
Squadron: HQ SQN  
Group: 3201ABG
Home Base: Eglin AFB, FL  
Action: TAC  
D: 2  
Pilot: Pack, John C.  

Serial #: 44-35371
Construction #: 28650  Civil Registration:   N4818E
Model(s):  A-26C  TB-26C  STOL 26
Name: None    Status: Airworthy  Last info: 2002
   History:
Rock Island Oil & Refining Co, Wichita, KS, 1960-1966.
- Registered as N4818E.
- Planned conversion to Monarch 26 not completed.
- Stored, unrestored, Hutchinson, KS.
Consolidated Air Parts Corp, Los Angeles, CA, 1967.
Denny Lynch/Lynch Air Tankers, Billings, MT, 1967-2002.
- Converted to Lynch STOL 26 tanker.
- Flew as tanker #A28 (later #59).
- Damaged when nose gear collapsed on landing, Billings, MT, June 28, 1975.
-- repaired.

Info on the civilian accident
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=49450&key=0

BILLINGS, MT        DOUGLAS B-26                   N4818E Nonfatal     Part 91 General Aviation
NTSB Identification: SEA75FTA22
14 CFR Part 91 General Aviation
Event occurred Saturday, June 28, 1975 in BILLINGS, MT
Aircraft: DOUGLAS B-26, registration: N4818E

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FILE    DATE          LOCATION          AIRCRAFT DATA       INJURIES       FLIGHT                        PILOT DATA                                                               F  S M/N     PURPOSE----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------3-2592  75/6/28    BILLINGS,MT         DOUGLAS B-26        CR-  0  0  2  MISCELLANEOUS             AIRLINE TRANSPORT, AGE        TIME - 1000                    N4818E              PX-  0  0  0  TEST                      35, 3975 TOTAL HOURS, 210                                       DAMAGE-SUBSTANTIAL  OT-  0  0  0                            IN TYPE, INSTRUMENT                                                                                                   RATED.        NAME OF AIRPORT - BILLINGS        DEPARTURE POINT             INTENDED DESTINATION          BILLINGS,MT                 LOCAL        TYPE OF ACCIDENT                                         PHASE OF OPERATION           GROUND-WATER LOOP-SWERVE                                 LANDING: ROLL           GEAR COLLAPSED                                           LANDING: ROLL        PROBABLE CAUSE(S)           PILOT IN COMMAND - INADEQUATE PREFLIGHT PREPARATION AND/OR PLANNING           PERSONNEL - MAINTENANCE,SERVICING,INSPECTION: INADEQUATE INSPECTION OF AIRCRAFT (MAINTENANCE PERSONNEL)           AIRFRAME - LANDING GEAR: NOSEWHEEL STEERING           MISCELLANEOUS ACTS,CONDITIONS - DISCONNECTED        FACTOR(S)           MISCELLANEOUS ACTS,CONDITIONS - VIBRATION,EXCESSIVE           MISCELLANEOUS ACTS,CONDITIONS - OVERLOAD FAILURE        EMERGENCY CIRCUMSTANCES - PRECAUTIONARY LANDING ON AIRPORT                                  SUSPECTED MECHANICAL DISCREPANCY        REMARKS- NOSE GEAR SCISSOR NOT CONNECTED AFTER TOWING.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:15:33 AM by Airscrew »

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 11:08:40 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Maintaining that bird will take a hefty amount of cash annually. I hope nobody that can't take care of it will buy it.

That's what I was thinking also.  It looks like it's from 1944.   ;)   Might be airworthy but keeping that bird flying will be the trick.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Two words:  Metal fatigue.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 02:20:22 PM »
Two words: no ****

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 02:31:47 PM »
Swap those engines out for a pair of supercharged Toyota Tacoma V8s w/ turbo, no problem.  Rip out that panel, drop in one of the G1000 conversion kits on an experimental certificate, Warbirds are used to flying on unusual airworthiness certs.  

Cut your costs even more by converting it to fixed gear, both your maintenance and insurance costs go down.

Re-upholster the inside like a Cessna Citation, lots of leather, that'd be sweet.

Oh, give it a nice paint job w/ decals.  I'm thinking Hawaiian flowers on a light blue skin.  

If you're worried about metal fatigue, just strip it and use the airframe and wings to make a big negative mold and do a standard fiberglass layup.  Sure you'd need to monkey around w/ placement of equipment to deal with the different weight & balance, but who'd notice?

:D
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 05:43:24 PM »
The first few years that my wife and I lived in Colorado we belonged to a WWII living history group.  A couple of well to do guys owned a C-45/AT-11, two SNJ/AT-6’s and an L-4.  About 30 of us in the group maintained these planes and traveled to air shows to show off the planes and discuss aviation history, dressed in authentic uniforms.  That's me in the middle, facing left.  My wife is to the right, facing the C-45 transport.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »
I think I saw that Twin Beech at the Roseburg air show this summer, taking folks for rides.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 06:13:19 PM »
Actually, the flight school i'm at is looking for another Multi-engine for the Indians they brought over doing the training. Catch is, it has to be a plane their government recognizes.

Makes me wonder...I could get a Seneca II for 130K with 400 HP, or an A-26 with 4000 HP and ADI for the same price...

Decisions...

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 06:23:03 PM »
This particular bird has an interesting history.  It started off as an AT-11 and then was converted to a C-45 transport.  After the war it was used by the CIA for who knows what.  I don’t remember exactly what was different about it but they added a few things to it.  It’s been in civilian hands ever since.  I’ve spent a great deal of time cleaning oil splatters out of the wheel wells.  The longest I ever rode in it was from Colorado Springs to Oshkosh and back; that was in 96.  I’ve also flown over the Great Sand Dunes on the deck in it.