Author Topic: HO Evasion  (Read 2019 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
HO Evasion
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »
Originally posted by Lance48
1. Wow!

2. I'm new here so forgive me if I've taken some of your responses out of context, but .....

3. Wow!

Some of you guys seem overly harsh. It's a freekin game! And even if you all think you are the reincarnation of Pappy Boyington, don’t you think your opinion would come off a bit more respectable if it were couched less in childish anger and more in seasoned mentorship?

I’ve come here to learn, but I’m not sure I’d want to listen to people who react this way….ABOUT A GAME!

All of that being said....why all the emotion about HO's?

because they take almost 0 skill. imagine shooting a parked airplane with 6 50 cals? or 4 20MM hispanos. some of these guys are better than that.....and there's times when i don't get mad about being HO'd.......if it's a furball, and they're tryin to cap a base...and i up there and get vulched or HO'd...then so be it.........but the guys that HO in a 1-1..........sad.....just.....sad
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »
slapshot was right though i should have used some of these i was just kidding........:aok
:eek: :D
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 11:22:02 AM »
Originally posted by goober69
slapshot was right though i should have used some of these i was just kidding........:aok
:eek: :D

Had your BBS ID matched your in-game ID, I would have recognized immediately who you were and I would have known that you were just kidding.

I have flown in situations with you enough to know that that is not how how you fly.

I wish people would use/create a BBS ids that match their in-game id.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 11:57:40 AM »
Originally posted by CAP1
If you plan on fighting think of it in these terms; If you both fly straight at each other (or close to it), you aren't setting up to aquire his six.  You can't.  At best, after the merge, if you both turn (immel, etc.), you're probably going to end up facing one another nose to nose again.  And the cycle continues until someone breaks it (probably to their detriment), extends or wins a HO or high forward deflection shot.

2)i find myself in this a lot.........and sometimes even when i don't fly straight at the guy/..i try an off angle immel, or i try to dive under, or under and off to his side, rolling bakc into him....but find he seems to be able to bring his nose round faster than me.....

So, to avoid this, you need to create seperation (vertical or horizontal) so that your already turning for his six as you merge.  That might mean you have to turn out, briefly showing your belly but that's ok if the timing is right.  Roll out, then back in, or dive and pull back up.  Either way he'll have to turn into you and the fight begins.  At least you're past the HO and now it's time to use your acm to gain angles.  There is still the possibility of a high deflection forward shot on the merge but you'll just have to learn what that looks like, and the angles needed to avoid it (or take it).

3) now the problem i get here.....when i DO try to create seperation, it seems as if the bogie turns directly into me 99% of the time....and i STILL end up in the situation above...unles i run away(which i hate as i want the fight..win or lose, THAT'S the fun)

Cap, the con is almost always going to try to keep his nose on you, or even lead a little, so I'm not surprised you're running into these situations.  Timing is everything, from the time you turn out to the time you roll back in.

Picture this... cup both hands, then place the fingertips of each hand in the palms of the other.  This is approximately the situation you are trying to create on the merge.

Now slide your fingertips to the ball of your hand.  Notice that you are now locked in a nose to tail fight after just a short delay in your turn.

Now place your fingertips together.  This is the nose to nose situation you get into when you turn in too soon.

I know this is pretty rudimentary but it illustrates the effects of timing on your initial moves.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 10:05:26 PM »
Today I started really thinking "separation". It was still ugly but I had a better day and started making some kills. The views are coming easier as well. Even had a few textbook dives to create separation, Immelmans, and ended up on the 6.

But the MA just isnt a good place to practice this stuff. I have found the 1 on 1 fights to be fewer, and more far between, then I thought they'd be.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
lance
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:24 PM »
Your right lance

Just learn from the ones that are willing to teach like murdr

Leave the others alone they just want to get your  "emontion up, intellect down".

My simple answer is: If you just kill on the merge, you don't get any other references. Most of the guys that cry HO don't even know what one is, and they are the ones that will turn thier tracers off and ho you.

Ho= both have target solutions.
Most of what gets cried about is not even close to a ho.

Keep it in context its the only way to sort through the trash talk...