Author Topic: rusty E-fighting  (Read 518 times)

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
rusty E-fighting
« on: January 24, 2008, 10:25:59 PM »
As you know, freeloaders like myself have not been able to play since H2H Shut down.

I am planning, however, to pay for the game once i get a stable job... hope that's soon.

At any rate, I'm requesting films of examples of good E-fighting, preferably with the Spitfire XIV. After all, if I do get back in the game, one of the objectives on the checklist is to practice E-fighting in the Spit14... a plane that can't be flown as a turn-fighter which is a first-time Spit14 pilot's biggest fault.

I've been watching a 3min lag pursuit film of Murdr flying his 38J against Yuji's Frank and I'm trying to adapt Murdr's techniques.

Any help is great, thanks!

EDIT: This should be in the Training Forum... my bad. Can't delete it though.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:29:00 PM by SgtPappy »
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
rusty E-fighting
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »
Just so you know, the 14 is a perk ride, so you'll have to fly something else till to build up perks to buy one.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
rusty E-fighting
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:39:16 AM »
give me a PM I'll send you spit14 films when I'm back home tonight.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Re: rusty E-fighting
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:22:17 AM »
See the terms of service
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:39:04 AM by Skuzzy »

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
rusty E-fighting
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:14:23 AM »
Spit 14??? Just take off then take a nap.... it'll do the rest.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: rusty E-fighting
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 04:59:56 PM »
Originally posted by SgtPappy
I've been watching a 3min lag pursuit film of Murdr flying his 38J against Yuji's Frank and I'm trying to adapt Murdr's techniques.

Something I should have commented on regarding that film was using what I've called the "safe zone" technique.
At these times in the film, 1:54, 2:09, 2:38, My objective in this loopy fight is to get above where the opponent can pull his decending turn to level flight.  If you get above the arc of that turn, you are safe from their guns.  
Not only that, but by jumping inside the radius of their best turn you create a flight path overshoot.  Not only that, but you are slowing in a climbing turn while the opponent is accelerating in a diving turn.  If you are able to pull inside the arc of thier best turn at a good enough angle, that flight path overshoot can be converted into a wingline overshoot.  

In that film, I didn't have the maneuver speed or angle to convert to a full wingline overshoot with guns, but the technique still accumulated angles each time to gain a guns threat, and change from a defensive to offensive mode.

Anyways, thought I'd point that out.  For those brief periods I was not trying to maneuver nose on to the bogie, but rather maneuver to a spot inside their best possible turn.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
rusty E-fighting
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 06:25:14 PM »
Thanks,

Oh, yea I know it's perk... but is it like that in the TA and the DA? Last I checked it wasn't but that was a LONG time ago.

Lol, and I highly doubt the Spitfire XIV is anything but a Spitfire in the traditional sense of the plane. It bites hard and doesn't fly like any Spitfire at all in terms of handling. It's wing loading is just shy of about 3 lbs./sq. ft. loaded compared to a Corsair (both planes at the same respective configs) and if the F4U outturns the Spitfire VIII and XVI with no prob, the Spitfire XIV is eaten for lunch in a turn fight.

This early 1944 bird teaches the everyday Spit pilot how to fight using zoom/sustained climb, acceleration and speed as an advantage rather than turn turn turn! At first I didn't like it too much because I thought it was a 1945 aircraft, but I realized last year around my 16th birthday that it entered service at the same date in '44... the same year my fave F4U entered service.

Talon,
Thanks for the invite hopefully I can get some money soon for the game. Right now I gotta help my sis pay for gas :D

Murdr,
That's awesome, I'll take a look at those sequences though I doubt the torque-heavy Spit 14 is going to zoom as well at lower speeds... it's a totally different bird from any Spitfire, and this is my first true understanding of lag pursuits, so it may take me a while to get used to the Spourteen's flight characteristics.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: rusty E-fighting
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Something I should have commented on regarding that film was using what I've called the "safe zone" technique.
At these times in the film, 1:54, 2:09, 2:38, My objective in this loopy fight is to get above where the opponent can pull his decending turn to level flight.  If you get above the arc of that turn, you are safe from their guns.  
Not only that, but by jumping inside the radius of their best turn you create a flight path overshoot.  Not only that, but you are slowing in a climbing turn while the opponent is accelerating in a diving turn.  If you are able to pull inside the arc of thier best turn at a good enough angle, that flight path overshoot can be converted into a wingline overshoot.  

In that film, I didn't have the maneuver speed or angle to convert to a full wingline overshoot with guns, but the technique still accumulated angles each time to gain a guns threat, and change from a defensive to offensive mode.

Anyways, thought I'd point that out.  For those brief periods I was not trying to maneuver nose on to the bogie, but rather maneuver to a spot inside their best possible turn.

where can I get a copy of that film Murdr?

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
rusty E-fighting
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 06:59:34 PM »

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
rusty E-fighting
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »
Ty sir

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
rusty E-fighting
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 11:55:54 PM »
Message sent. Check your PMs Noir, and thanks!
I am a Spitdweeb