Author Topic: Tanks - Range Estimation  (Read 521 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Tanks - Range Estimation
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:58:13 PM »
Any tutorials on estimating range when in a tank?  It takes me forever to get on target...which usually means the other guy kills me first.

Thanks
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Tanks - Range Estimation
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »
The way i get range Estimation is with experience and practice, once you fire the first shot, you adjust your angle depending on where your first shell falls.

And you get the range from there, and once you've been gv'ing for a while, it's second nature.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
Tanks - Range Estimation
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »
MacAW?
-AoM-

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
Tanks - Range Estimation
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »
Greetings,

To estimate range in a tank.  Go off line.  line up a shot on the gvs on the field.  Make sure you are perpendicular to the flank of the tank.  
  Compare the size of the tank to the horizontal lines in the reticle.  No matter the zoom, the tank will be the same size as compared to the reticle line.
  It has been a while since I last did this, but, for example, I seem to remember that at 1000 a Pnzr was as long as the reticle line and as wide as half the line.  Be warned, I haven't done this in year or so and I may not be remembering correctly.  Also, a Tiger, Sherman and T34 have different length and width so you range may vary, but it should get you close.
  Will this range estimation get you consistent 1st round hits?  No.  It will get you in the ball park.

Regards,

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Tanks - Range Estimation
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 02:34:21 PM »
another thing you can do, in practice and untill you learn the sizes for the ranges, is to fire off a round. when it lands, mark the spot with your mouse cursor. Then move your gun till the cursor is on the target, and fire again. This gets you close, for now. :D

Learning to pick out the size and KNOWING the range will turn you into one of those "one shot wonders" you are most likely running into.

Practice makes perfect !  Good luck !

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
Tanks - Range Estimation
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
As Mj Talon said, practice makes perfect. If you want consistent first shot kills you have to train your eye to recognize your target's range. Go offline, switch to knights, then up a the tank of your choice from any base.  You will now see that the Tiger and T-34 on the base you're at has a range below its icon.  Use this to train your eye to recognize the site picture of your target at different ranges.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tanks - Range Estimation
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:19:22 PM »
Originally posted by colmbo
Any tutorials on estimating range when in a tank?  It takes me forever to get on target...which usually means the other guy kills me first.

Thanks

Nope.  Bwahahahahahaha! :t
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Tanks - Range Estimation
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »
Originally posted by Scotch
MacAW?

Guilty.

Thanks gents for the tips.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Tanks - Range Estimation
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »
From the T34 tank view, a Panzer IV broadside will be exactly the same length as the lines on the default reticle at a range of 1200.  I don't know about any of the other tanks reticles as I don't use them.  I don't know about the Tiger relative size as I am not stupid enough to fire at a Tiger with a T34 at more than point blank range.

Offline Castedo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Tanks - Range Estimation
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:47:16 AM »
real big = range 400
medium = 1600
small = 2000
real small = 32

Then look where the shell fall and adjust