Author Topic: Wellington B.Mk III, after some more Axis and Soviet stuff is added  (Read 397 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Over 11,000 Wellingtons were built.

A Wellington B.Mk III (1,519 built, primary RAF bomber in 1941-42, acceptable standing for the Mk I of 1938 and Mk II of 1940 )would be a great addition to AH.

Slow at ~250mph so early war Axis fighters can actually catch it, unlike the Boston Mk III.

Light defenses, two .303s in the nose turret, one .303 in each beam and four .303s in the tail turret. Heavy enough to be a threat to early war fighters, but light enough to be managable for them.

Tough, geodetic construction gives the bomber a fighting chance despite the .303 defenive guns. The Wellington was quite possibly the toughest two engined aircraft of WWII.

4,500lb bombload is a useful warload, but not imbalancingly large for early war settings.

Makes for an interesting choice between the Ju88A-4, Boston Mk III, B-25C, G4M2 (when it comes) and Wellington Mk III (when it comes) for the EW arena.

I remember flying a Bf109E-4 in a snapshot that was run way back in AH1 days. It was a German Invasion of Norway setting and the RAF was equipped with Hurricane Mk Is and Boston Mk IIIs. I don't remember the goals, but I do remember fighting the RAF players until my cannon ammo was dry and I was on the deck. I tried to disengage and was easily pulling away from the Hurricanes. But even on WEP the RAF's Boston Mk IIIs were slowly overtaking my Bf109E-4, and while I had no doubts about my ability to fight a Boston even armed with just two 7.92mm machine guns, I could not fight the Hurricanes at the same time. Bluntly, the premier Axis fighter in the setting was chased down and forced to turn by the RAF's "bomber". The Hurricanes just took credit for the kill.

Imagine how bad off the A6M2 is against the Boston.

We need an early war Allied bomber that can be dealt with by the early war Axis fighters, but one that Allied players still find useful (so no Battles or Blenheims) and I think the Wellington B.Mk III is the best one for it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Re: Wellington B.Mk III, after some more Axis and Soviet stuff is added
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:25:02 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Over 11,000 Wellingtons were built.

A Wellington B.Mk III (1,519 built, primary RAF bomber in 1941-42, acceptable standing for the Mk I of 1938 and Mk II of 1940 )would be a great addition to AH.

Slow at ~250mph so early war Axis fighters can actually catch it, unlike the Boston Mk III.

Light defenses, two .303s in the nose turret, one .303 in each beam and four .303s in the tail turret. Heavy enough to be a threat to early war fighters, but light enough to be managable for them.

Tough, geodetic construction gives the bomber a fighting chance despite the .303 defenive guns. The Wellington was quite possibly the toughest two engined aircraft of WWII.

4,500lb bombload is a useful warload, but not imbalancingly large for early war settings.

Makes for an interesting choice between the Ju88A-4, Boston Mk III, B-25C, G4M2 (when it comes) and Wellington Mk III (when it comes) for the EW arena.

I remember flying a Bf109E-4 in a snapshot that was run way back in AH1 days. It was a German Invasion of Norway setting and the RAF was equipped with Hurricane Mk Is and Boston Mk IIIs. I don't remember the goals, but I do remember fighting the RAF players until my cannon ammo was dry and I was on the deck. I tried to disengage and was easily pulling away from the Hurricanes. But even on WEP the RAF's Boston Mk IIIs were slowly overtaking my Bf109E-4, and while I had no doubts about my ability to fight a Boston even armed with just two 7.92mm machine guns, I could not fight the Hurricanes at the same time. Bluntly, the premier Axis fighter in the setting was chased down and forced to turn by the RAF's "bomber". The Hurricanes just took credit for the kill.

Imagine how bad off the A6M2 is against the Boston.

We need an early war Allied bomber that can be dealt with by the early war Axis fighters, but one that Allied players still find useful (so no Battles or Blenheims) and I think the Wellington B.Mk III is the best one for it.

ehh i think it would be too easy to get shot by if its an early war arena plane. Maybe something like that but with more guns. Then it would be perfect.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Wellington B.Mk III, after some more Axis and Soviet stuff is added
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:17:27 AM »
Originally posted by angelsandair
ehh i think it would be too easy to get shot by if its an early war arena plane. Maybe something like that but with more guns. Then it would be perfect.

I don't think so...

This is the geodetic construction which Karnak refers to, it was designed by Barnes Wallis (of dambusters and tallboy/grand slam fame) and was incredibly strong.

A wartime cartoon depicting the durability of the Wimpy: -

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Wellington B.Mk III, after some more Axis and Soviet stuff is added
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 09:56:45 AM »
Originally posted by angelsandair

Did you read my post?  That it is an early war bomber is the point.  Right now we don't have an early war Allied bomber for the European Theater that the Germans can actually catch.  The Boston Mk III is too fast for the Bf109 to effectively intervept.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Wellington B.Mk III, after some more Axis and Soviet stuff is added
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 11:12:47 AM »
The Wellington is on my short wishlist.  Anything to fill out the gaping holes in early & midwar planesets regardless of country!:aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Wellington B.Mk III, after some more Axis and Soviet stuff is added
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
Im  just trying to picture them at 3,000' right before they dive on a bunch of GVs.:O
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"