Author Topic: Guitarists and Other Musicians  (Read 570 times)

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Guitarists and Other Musicians
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »
I use Acid pro 5, a Line 6 Tone Port and Toontrax Easydrummer.  I have been very happy with the results except that easy drummer uses around 780 mb of ram by itself...

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
Doh! Almost forgot...
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »
Remembered that I mentioned the Loopers for the techno music people!

Loopers
LMMS
This is considered the closest to Fruity Loops.  Very mature and powerful.  Tasty!

Freecycle
This is considered the the beat-slicer extraordinaire for Linux by Dave Phillips and many others.

There are gads more but I believe these are the most prevalent.

Resources for Loopers:
Dave Phillips: Loop-based Music Composition with Linux - Part 1

Dave Phillips: Loop-based Music Composition with Linux - Part 2
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
Guitarists and Other Musicians
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »
Okay, now I'll start mentioning some of the different distributions based on Linux.  Keep in mind these are Linux distributions that have been optimized for media (audio primarily for this discussion).

64Studio 2.0
Based on Debian and offers both 64-bit and 32-bit systems.  LiveCD is available.  VST/VSTi is available although not sure to what extent.

While this distribution is free to download and use, commercial user support is available.  Also visit the 64Studio Forums for free support.

This pictures shows the cube desktop.  On the left visible side is JACK and the Jammin' mastering application and on the right is Ardour.

JAD
From the makers of Jack and Jack-Rack comes an 32-bit OpenSuSE based OS.  LiveCD is available.  VST support is integrated.

Also free to download and use and visit the JackLab Forms for free support.

Picture shown includes Reaper which is not installed by default and JACK connections GUI.

Ubuntu Studio 7.10
Based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian, Ubuntu Studio offers both 32-bit and 64-bit.  A LiveCD is not available at this time, but there are rumors of one possibly in the near future.  VST support is not native, but Adrour can be compiled for it.

Ubuntu Studio, just as with all the Ubuntu variations (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Geubuntu, Edubuntu), is free to download and use.  Unfortunately there is not a dedicated forum for Ubuntu Studio at this time.  The Ubuntu Forums can be used but for more immediate, direct and knowledgeable help it would be advised to join the Ubuntu Studio User's Mailing List .

Here are pictures, left to right, of Gimp - the free, open source equivalent of Photoshop  and Blender - the open source, cross platform suite of tools for 3D creation

Next post, I'll mention a few more.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 12:55:46 PM by Yknurd »
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High