Author Topic: Understanding rudders  (Read 1110 times)

Offline SpazMan

• Nickel Member
Understanding rudders
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 12:10:26 PM »
Great thread but I have one question: what do you guys recommend or use for your joy stick / foot petal set up?
Right now I have a Cyborg III that my squad mate let me use which is ok but I find I have no rudder control. All my take offs have to be auto cause I start to circle in manual. I've tried several times to calibrate the twist option on the stick with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Understanding rudders
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »
Originally posted by SpazMan
Great thread but I have one question: what do you guys recommend or use for your joy stick / foot petal set up?

I wouldn't recommend foot petals, see bellow link for a reason:
http://www.footpetals.com/cgi-bin/footpetals/index.html

As for your stick, sometimes you have to manually assign Z axis to rudder input.

If you can afford it, you can purchase rudder pedals.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Understanding rudders
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn

As for your stick, sometimes you have to manually assign Z axis to rudder input.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Understanding rudders
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 02:15:37 PM »
To expand just a little on the use of rudders in shooting....I've found two different but overlapping ways they become very valuable.

1. When reaching for an "out of plane" shot that you can't quite reach, you can use rudders to "yaw" the nose (and the guns) in a direction different from the direction of flight. Think of a drive by shot, with your car being the direction of flight (going straight) and the nose being the gun arm yawing to the side --

2. Once you have a good idea of exactly where to aim, you can concentrate your rounds right on that spot even when you're slicing past the target. (A non- tracking shot, or snapshot) Without rudder input, these shots are often like a strafing run, with bullets stitching a line along the target. Once your mind's eye sees the exact place you need to hit for perfect lead, instead of hosing the whole length of the aircraft you can throw in just a tweak of rudder to concentrate more bullets on the spot. Get this down, and targets blow up lots more (and you get lots fewer assists)!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 02:18:10 PM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline SpazMan

• Nickel Member
Understanding rudders
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »

:eek:          :lol

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
Understanding rudders
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »
Originally posted by SpazMan
Right now I have a Cyborg III that my squad mate let me use which is ok but I find I have no rudder control. All my take offs have to be auto cause I start to circle in manual. I've tried several times to calibrate the twist option on the stick with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
you know wer u click "map controllers" and it says "Axis X" "Axis Y" and "Axis Z"? well Axis Z is the rudder I do believe (correct me if im wrong) you map it like any other input, but i think its one of the two Yaw settings. make sure you have it mapped to your joystick.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
Understanding rudders
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 02:51:33 PM »

LMAO! :rolleyes: :rofl :rofl :aok
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato