Author Topic: Historic Gun Sites Relationship to Guns.  (Read 298 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Historic Gun Sites Relationship to Guns.
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »
This question is a bit late in my game participation and because I've just had one of those DouH moments in the MA.

The historic gunsites from each country were attempting to address the issues of convergance, bullet drop, lead distance, rate of fire, and effective range of projectile by the engineers and pilots of the time.

I used the ravi gunsite on a 190D9 last night with the cannons set to 350d. When I zoomed the site in I noticed the bottom bar stopped short of center. At 350d rasing the nose to center on the top notch of the bottom line caused my cannon rounds to be very effective. I then took another look at german sites and noticed the same theme. Is the bottom vertical line stopping short of center an accounting for the known drop of german cannon rounds at around 350d?

Can anyone give a short rationel for the other historical sites?

I notice the diameter of the german sites is a bit smaller. Ive been using the ravi on everything lately and Im hitting more often because Im making smaller deflections with the smaller circle.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Re: Historic Gun Sites Relationship to Guns.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
The gunsights were also designed so they could be used to figure out the distance to the target. Pilots could learn how much of the sight the span of the enemy aircraft had to fill before it was a certain distance away.
Unfortunately this isn't modelled in AH2, as the sight here change size depending on the distance from the pilot to the sight, unlike how it actually worked.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"