Author Topic: Baby for Sale! New LOW Price!!!  (Read 530 times)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Baby for Sale! New LOW Price!!!
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:16:11 PM »
Story Link

Salem police: Dallas man accused of posting false craigslist ad claiming to sell infant

March 26, 2008

A 33-year-old Dallas man was arrested late this afternoon on charges in connection to placing a craigslist ad claiming to sell an infant, Salem police said.

Salem police were called Monday about an advertisement seen on craigslist about a baby for sale, which contained a photo and listed contact information, said spokesman Lt. Dave Okada.

Salem Police Detective Mark Williamson determined the contact information listed in the ad belonged to a legitimate person who was not involved in publishing the ad, Okada said.

The investigation led to Patrick Lee Ryan, who was arrested on charges of buying or selling a child, which is a felony, first-degree disorderly conduct and computer crime, Okada said. Ryan, 33, was booked into Polk County jail.

Police do not believe any children were in danger because of this incident. Ryan told police that the photo of the infant was taken from the Internet, and he does not have any infant children of his own, Okada said.

What a genius.  This comes on the heel of another, more damaging fraudulent post offering up someone else's property for free... directed people to stop by a guy's property in Jacksonville, OR and take anything that was there 'cause "the family that lived there had moved away".  And of course, idiots/thieves went there in numbers.  I wonder how many special people called about purchasing the baby.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Re: Baby for Sale! New LOW Price!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:21:26 PM »
What are the significance of the characters in your signature?
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:53:23 PM »
It's a 3d coordinate system that draws a shape for the answer to life and all this.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
It's a 3d coordinate system that draws a shape for the answer to life and all this.

The answer is 42.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »
They're BOTH right!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Gotta be careful with Craigslist:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:48:50 PM »
Jacksonville is about an hour + / - away from me.  I lost out on some good stuff:

Man scammed by Craigslist Ad
The Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Ore. — A pair of hoax ads on Craigslist cost an Oregon man much of what he owned.

The ads popped up Saturday afternoon, saying the owner of a Jacksonville home was forced to leave the area suddenly and his belongings, including a horse, were free for the taking, said Jackson County sheriff's Detective Sgt. Colin studmuffinan.

But Robert Salisbury had no plans to leave. The independent contractor was at Emigrant Lake when he got a call from a woman who had stopped by his house to claim his horse.

On his way home he stopped a truck loaded down with his work ladders, lawn mower and weed eater.

"I informed them I was the owner, but they refused to give the stuff back," Salisbury said. "They showed me the Craigslist printout and told me they had the right to do what they did."

The driver sped away after rebuking Salisbury. On his way home he spotted other cars filled with his belongings.

Once home he was greeted by close to 30 people rummaging through his barn and front porch.

The trespassers, armed with printouts of the ad, tried to brush him off. "They honestly thought that because it appeared on the Internet it was true," Salisbury said. "It boggles the mind."

Jacksonville police and Jackson County sheriff's deputies arrived but by then several cars packed with Salisbury's property had fled.

He turned some license plate numbers over to police.

Michelle Easley had seen the ad that claimed Salisbury's horse had been declared abandoned by the sheriff's department and was free to a good home.

"I can't stand to see a horse suffer so I drove out there and got her," Easley said. "The horse didn't look abandoned. She is in good shape for being 32 years old."

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 12:17:38 AM »
The answer is 42.
42 pink sunfish tobe exact

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 08:30:07 AM »

Its written in HEX.  Translated into ASCII it reads "...the greatest braggarts are generally the merest cowards"

FYI
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:16 PM »

2e 2e 2e 74 68 65 20 67 72 65 61 74 65 73 74 20 62 72 61 67 67 61 72 74 73 20 61 72 65 20 67 65 6e 65 72 61 6c 6c 79 20 74 68 65 20 6d 65 72 65 73 74 20 63 6f 77 61 72 64 73
An apparatus for analyzing internet activity.

OR

The illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator!

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »
I always liked it said this way....

Big Shots are usually of low caliber!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 12:44:59 PM »
That baby add was fake? Damn... the wife is going to be pissed. I was supposed to take a look at it next week.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »
The only thing that *really* bothers me about this story is that the only charges that will stick are disorderly conduct and the catch-all, "computer crime".  The problem is that "computer crime" can mean anything from throwing a computer through a window to hacking into the IRS and stealing enough to buy a B-2 bomber, or shutting down a nuke plant using telnet, duct tape, and a wi-fi cantenna.

So in the end this guy may end up a felon, complete with all the consequences (such as gun restrictions), because he was stupid enough to push some electrons into the form of a prank that was in extremely bad taste.

I'm not sure stupidity that doesn't actually result in harm to ANYONE deserves a felony conviction, but that's what they're gonna try to use that "computer crime" charge for.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.