Author Topic: And you thought the 262 perkies were high  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: And you thought the 262 perkies were high
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 11:43:37 PM »
They made a lot of stupid prototypes that 1) never flew, 2) never got halfway completed before being scrapped, 3) were built but didn't perform even a fraction of what the requirements stated, 4) sat around for years waiting for mythical engine developments that never materialized.

The fact they had a mockup (and I don't even call it a prototype, personally) means nothing.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 11:52:36 PM »
At a time when resources and time where at a premium a project this ambitious was doomed to fail. Hienkel jet engines where problem ridden from the start, and engine fires and exploding a.c where pretty common. This a.c shouldn't see the arenas of aces high till the plane set is filled.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
ho-229 was real and i believed they made a prodotype.   

It did exsist

Yeah it made a few very simple test flights until it finally crashed on one. John Northrop was working on flying wings as long as the Horten brothers were. His design finally made it to prototype too in the XB-35. However that design as well had a lot of mechanical issues. The bottom line is that standard design aircraft did the job as good, or better, then these flying wing concepts did.

And that fact is backed up by the reality that since the HO-229 no aviation industry in the world has followed thru with an operational flying wing fighter design. And while the HO-229 looks cool, and makes a great model, there really isn't anything concrete to suggest it would have made a big difference in the war. Germanys fate was sealed for reasons other then fighter designs and regardless what design they cooked up the bomber war would have found the weak link in its manufactureing chain and pounced on it.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 09:14:46 AM »
This a.c shouldn't see the arenas of aces high ever.

Fixed.

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »
Germanys fate was sealed for reasons other then fighter designs and regardless what design they cooked up the bomber war would have found the weak link in its manufactureing chain and pounced on it.

I have to agree with this.  Germany's fate was sealed the day Hitler invaded the Soviet Union.  By the time Germany's wonder weapons could have made it into production, there was no way they could have had anything but negative consequences for Germany.  If somehow, Germany had managed to drag the war into late summer of 45, Germany and not Japan would have been the target for the first atomic weapon.

Offline ShrkBite

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »
just think about HOing that!!  :lol

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »
It would be like HOing a bigger Me163.

I have to agree with this.  Germany's fate was sealed the day Hitler invaded the Soviet Union.  By the time Germany's wonder weapons could have made it into production, there was no way they could have had anything but negative consequences for Germany.  If somehow, Germany had managed to drag the war into late summer of 45, Germany and not Japan would have been the target for the first atomic weapon.

More like the day that they stoped attacking airfields in England and started bombing London.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline EvlPrsn

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »
it was sealed the day he opted NOT to build a heavy bomber, NOT design new fighters to replace the 109, and when he decided to attack poland....   that was all in the 30's, either before the war, or at he very outset of it.  point is, he was jsut screwed.
If i said anything to offend u, plz ignore it.

also, if i say anything stupid or rude, it was probobly too late at night and i was half asleep, so ignore that too.

oh yeah, its all just my opinion, so if ya dont care, just keep it to urself, cuz if u dont care, i sure wont!

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 12:17:04 PM »
it was sealed the day he opted NOT to build a heavy bomber, NOT design new fighters to replace the 109, and when he decided to attack poland....   that was all in the 30's, either before the war, or at he very outset of it.  point is, he was jsut screwed.

They didnt need heavy bombers, or new fighters to replace the 109. Germany was kicking the crap out of everyone and had england under its thumb. When they made the mistake of taking the pressure off the RAF and bombed london. After that the brits started thier bombing of germen citys. After that they were screwed.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 01:31:24 PM »
They didnt need heavy bombers, or new fighters to replace the 109. Germany was kicking the crap out of everyone and had england under its thumb. When they made the mistake of taking the pressure off the RAF and bombed london. After that the brits started thier bombing of germen citys. After that they were screwed.

Agree absolutely,although I must add that we bombed Berlin first,leading to the retaliatory strike on london.Thus leading to the Battle of Britain.Germany,for all their faults made huge technological advances during the war,and this bird may have made it up with the others, but was too little too late.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »
ho-229 was real and i believed they made a prodotype.   

It did exsist

No one is denying the existance of it, but we ARE denying the use of it during WW2.

Minke: My understanding (Which is often wrong) was that the Luftwaffe accidently ditched bombs on london, leading to a retaliatry strike on London, leading in turn to the RAF bombing Berlin. Again, I may be wrong.

As a last note, was the HO 229 that was designed to carry a nuke to New York and back? I remeber watching a program on Discovery (Again, I may be wrong) And I think it said this.

BTW, NO to the HO 229
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »
No one is denying the existance of it, but we ARE denying the use of it during WW2.

Minke: My understanding (Which is often wrong) was that the Luftwaffe accidently ditched bombs on london, leading to a retaliatry strike on London, leading in turn to the RAF bombing Berlin. Again, I may be wrong.

As a last note, was the HO 229 that was designed to carry a nuke to New York and back? I remeber watching a program on Discovery (Again, I may be wrong) And I think it said this.

BTW, NO to the HO 229

Yes if I remember right it was a lost Do17 who droped him bombs and didnt know he was over london do to the poor visibility. After that They stqrted droping bombs on berlin and other german cities nightly.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner