Author Topic: E-fight training ?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: E-fight training ?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 12:54:13 AM »

A lesson I relearned recently when dueling Skyrock.   Being overly aggressive without regard to the opponents E state will leave one at a decided disadvantage at each merge.  I am so used to cranking in flaps and going for a leadshot, and SR saw that and kept his plane clean, avoided shots and set up the perch...

Balsy

It's good to have that in your locker but i've always seen it as a weak/smart/timid way of fighting.  If your co-e at the merge fair play.   If you have an alt advantage already i find it even more disturbing.  Now Balsy when can we have a duel I wasn't getting much luck in KOTH.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 03:52:35 AM »
If you have an alt advantage already i find it even more disturbing. 

I often have an alt advantage because I almost always start one base back.  In the end it means nothing because I'm almost always throttle off diving in to equalize e-states so I can saddle up or pull a lead shot.  There's almost nothing I hate more than coming in with too much E and having to waste time burning it off.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 08:18:24 AM »
It's good to have that in your locker but i've always seen it as a weak/smart/timid way of fighting.  If your co-e at the merge fair play.   If you have an alt advantage already i find it even more disturbing.  Now Balsy when can we have a duel I wasn't getting much luck in KOTH.

Anytime Bruv... catch me when I'm online.  Just dont make me fly one of those SPITS ;).

Balsy

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »
It's good to have that in your locker but i've always seen it as a weak/smart/timid way of fighting. 

Utter nonsense. If both start out co-e, and one chooses to conserve while the other choose to burn alot early, that is perfectly fair.

I love seeing weak/timid/smart being used as synonyms. Shows me what kind of mindset we've ended up with in this game culture.

I guess if a boxer paces himself in the early rounds and lets his opponent gas before taking it to him, that fighter is weak and timid.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 03:21:57 PM »
Forgot to mention, the fighter in a classic co-e same plane duel who makes his reverses more gently to conserve E is not playing it safe, he is actually making a gamble...his opponent who is cranking hard to gain angles WILL have the opportunity for a shot or two on the first few reverses, although the E-conserving flyer will be trying to make  them as low percentage opportunities as possible. It is AFTER the opponent's attempt at a fleeting firing opportunity that the guy who conserved E at the beginning of the duel typically finds that he has won an enviable position. This strategy is about as "timid" as Andrew Jackon's approach to his pistol duel with Charles Dickinson.

The fact is that the opposition has every opportunity to see that the other guy is conserving his E on his reverse and react in kind. In a co-e same-craft duel, if you were simply to try a gentle zoom and rope or spiral climb on the first merge, a savvy enough opponent would see it, go low g's himself, follow you up, and shoot you/lock onto your six every time.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »
with a name like Bnz you probably don't understand what i'm saying.

i'll quote myself    "If your co-e at the merge fair play"

what i mean by this is if you have gained your advantage by being less aggressive from an equal footing thats good flying.

I'd rather be able to fight/reverse/overshoot than fly smart and clean.  I like the fights where your arm hurts afterwards.   I feel bad for my opponent if I always opt for the BnZ approach, personally I don't find it fun even if I win the fight.

Your right on many points though.  When 2 equally good guys go at it, it can go either way depending on what move they gamble on.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »
Bruv119,

your 2nd reply/explanation was a bit better.........you did lose me on the 1st reply with the:

It's good to have that in your locker but i've always seen it as a weak/smart/timid way of fighting.  If your co-e at the merge fair play.   If you have an alt advantage already i find it even more disturbing. 

When I am fighting a person 1 vs 1, mainly when /if I am dueling someone.I'll watch their moves, especially that 1st initial cold guns 1st merge....I am watching how hard they are reversing/break turning to bring guns to bear on me......with this I only apply just enough control input to meet him/her on an equal footing ( equal turn to come back nose to nose ).if I think I have them a bit off angle from head on ( well actually I try to employee this angle in my 1st reversing turn/merge ).I will try and instigate the next turn 1st.......or at least stay with them equally but not try and force my E to turn tighter/quicker.....

most players go for broke on the 1st and/or 2nd merge/revrsal and burn up all their E.....I try to be smooth and conserve even the little tidbit more E. so when we become stalemate during that 2nd or 3rd merge/reverse I have the upper hand and can then dictate the fight........making the opponent have to start playing catch up and react to my moves.....is like chess per say..match them move for move, but no more..holding back that lil something something.until you know you can send them back to the tower.....

anyhows........I do not find that type of flying boring, timid, or weak...I do find it flying smart and flying the right way......to add though.. I am not saying to not take a shot if it presents itself.....

but most good to better sticks will not fire on you from a near to Head On front quarter shot or nose to nose ( say 15 degrees off nose or closer ).... you got to know the character of your opponent .......learn his ways, his flying style, his habits...practice.....and never stop practicing..........

BFM, ACM, and everything else is not all about yank hard and fire 1st.........

hope this helps
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 05:42:41 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »
BnZ...what can I say? Its short and easy to understand on the radio, has a nicer ring to it than "energy fighter". Although a certain number of people seem to think the pronunciation is "buns" :D

Its all good Bruv, we were talking past each other. I was talking about a fight where both parties have the same E but one comes out on top through better management, I guess you were talking about one where one guy "cheats" and comes in with more E than the other...not something I see Skyrock doing :salute

I try to avoid using the gentlemans convention of not taking HO shots to my advantage, if that makes any sense. That is, I try to fly any direction other than directly towards him on the remerge whenever possible. If this fight were without conventions, say in the MA, I feel like offering a 10% chance of a deadly front-quarter snapshot to the opponent is better than offering him the 50% M.A.D. opportunity by flying too directly towards him. This seems to naturally lead to E-conservation moves on the first few merges, without really trying.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:41:37 PM by BnZ »