Author Topic: more joystick questions  (Read 305 times)

Offline bucky145

• Zinc Member
more joystick questions
« on: May 20, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
after reading most of the replies in my popular joystick post i have learned much. My joystick still hates me. i fiddled with the scaling and it still sucks.  well when i have my crosshair on someone a small touch can make it jump a bit which messes my aim.  since my joystick is an logitech extreme 3d pro should i get a new stick, if so what kind, or is it my fault.

so far ive learned that i need to learn a lot more

this is what ive learned recently:
stall limiter=off
trim=way complicated for me (see stall limiter post just recently made and see that the replies are parargraphs long ugh) :cry
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:10:21 PM by bucky145 »
always be nice to guys in the help forum, you'll never know if they give you bad advice until its too late.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Re: more joystick questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
Check this out: http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/review/x52.htm

(sorry, link won't post right. just copy 'n paste to the browser bar)

This is what I'm gettin ASAP.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:29:32 PM »
Have you played with the dead band and dampening? 

I am a small fish in this aquarium, and my advice is the same.

I had/have a 3d pro also and it took about a year to tune it to my hand...... ( so that I could at least get one kill from time to time. Then due to pressures of the community saying oooooooo logitech ( oh the peer pressure) I got a saitek, Ive had it for a month now and I suck worse than my first day...... Blah de blah blah. What I am trying to get at is tuning is something that takes a bit of time and also try sticking to one aircraft while tuning to your hand ( I am heavy handed and the new stick is very light).

That's about all I have to say on this matter. other than my logi may soon have to come back.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »
Logitech sticks are normally of fair to low qaulity. They're cheap and will get you up and going for a while. I had one ages and ages ago (10 years or so), and it was the worst stick i ever owned. I bought it to replace my one of my old saitek cyborg (game port). The reason i got it was i couldnt find any cyborgs. I think i went through 3 cyborgs in 2 years, IIRC. I went through the logi in 3 months. Well i quickly figured that since my joystick bill was running fairly high, and they didnt have the features i needed and their was no gaurentee that i would be an equivalent replacement and the were totally non-repairable, i decided to spend some extra on getting some high-qaulity kit. After researching, the choice was clear: CH products. I figured that i enjoy the game enough and will spend enough time in it to justify getting something more serious. The only CH stick i've replaced was my old analog combat stick to replace it with a USB fighterstick. It was only replaced because i needed USB, and it had more buttons, not because it had failed or anything - it was/is still as strong as an ox. I have all CH gear (including a 9 year old pair of gameport CH pedals on a USB adapter still working factory fresh). Best money i ever spent.

I guess to cut a long story short, if you are sure you are commited to this game/flight sims then getting CH gear is a no-brainer. If your still not sure, then saitek is a good intermediate position (saitek are getting lots better than they used to be too). If your starting out and just need a cheap stick to get flying for your two-weeker, then logi is fine for your first few months and cheap.

As for learning time on the new stick. Thats a real pain, and really depressing when you seem to go completely backwards and become fodder for a few months till you get your brain/muscles dialed into it. Its very tempting to go back to your old stick (if you can) because you know you will do immediately better with it. But there's two flaws with that: 1, you are making more dificult for yourself in the long-run. 2, better to do it sooner than later, as at some point the old stick will fail, and you'll need to do it anyway/again. There's only one way - through yourself in the deep end, and eventually you will come out the other side, and be much better for it.

as for stick set up and trim, try these links:
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/controllers/controllers.htm
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/views/views.htm
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/trim/trim.htm

heres something i wrote about hardware, but down the bottom is a bit about sticks and mappings including how i map mine:
http://www.my2cents.co.nz/AKUAG/TheVault_Files/HarwareSuggestions.aspx
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »
Ok spat, I'll keep at it. :D

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:16:06 AM »
its deadband you need to set - just keep tapping the stick and adjust deadband up until it stops spiking the input :) easy test - put aircraft on autopilot and wiggle the stick a just a tiny amount, if it comes off auto you need to adjust deadband
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:18:15 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli