Author Topic: Question About Killshooter Mechanics, Part 2  (Read 402 times)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Question About Killshooter Mechanics, Part 2
« on: May 24, 2008, 04:31:17 PM »
I assume because of the recent forum malfunction, I am unable to locate my original post regarding the mechanics of Killshooter.  So, unfortunately, I have to try to type this all out again . . .

This is the way I thought killshooter works:

I shoot at a friendly.  My bullets hit the friendly.  Instead of friendly taking damage, those hits are instead applied to my vehicle, dealing any damage to me.

The damage I deal to myself is therefore related to 1) the weapon I am firing, i.e. the damage I can potentially inflict and 2) the target I am shooting at, i.e. the damage I could have caused him had killshooter been off.  Alternatively (call it 2a), it could be a direct hit transfer, in which case his ride is irrelevant, and the damage I inflict depends on the ride I am actually in.

In other words, if I am in a 110 and shoot a friendly goon in the wing with 20mm guns, and the hits would have normally blown off his flap -- instead my flap is what is blown off.  In the case of 2a above, it could also be that my plane reacts as if it is hit by the same number of 20mm rounds.  So, if it was a B-17, one ping from a 20mm would cause little damage, and so I would get little damage -- or alternatively, I would take whatever damage my airframe would receive when being hit by a 20mm round.

But, this is "understanding" is evidently not entirely accurate.

I think we can all agree that a pintle gun on a Tiger is not capable of killing another Tiger.  Therefore, given my understanding above, it should not be possible for me to killshoot myself using my pintle from my Tiger shooting at a friendly Tiger. 

And yet it happened to me a while back . . . and last night I reproduced it while filming:  http://www.mediafire.com/?j99saynjndw

So, my question remains, exactly how does killshooter work?  Any inside knowledge would be appreciated.

Necessary disclaimer:  <public announcer way too fast and deep voice>This is a question of academic curiosity, not a whine about losing a Tiger and associated perks.  If the poster was actually concerned about lost perkies, he would not have intentionally lost more by reproducing the event on film.  For other evidence of lack of caring about lost perkies please see Bronk vs. LTARget proving B-25H 75mm HE lethality.  Poster understands "don't shoot at friendlies" rule, but enjoys pushing the envelope when bored.  Results may vary. Member FDIC.  Be sure to see your doctor if you experience an erection lasting more than four hours, or simply enjoy it if you prefer.  If this had been an actual emergency, there would have been much more screaming and panic.  </public announcer way too fast and deep voice>
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:33:23 PM by E25280 »
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Question About Killshooter Mechanics, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »
So, my question remains, exactly how does killshooter work?

It works very well, thank you.

HiTech

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »
It works very well, thank you.

HiTech
LOL!

It certainly does.

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 06:19:55 AM »
Why would you shoot a friendly? (wish we had a scratching head smiley)
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 06:31:54 AM »
often when rushing supplies to a base with squadies we shoot pintle guns at each other
ITS FUN
knowing when to stop is good too
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:47:35 AM »
I understand your quest for knowledge, but in the grand scheme of things ... what difference would it make ?

Killshooter ... as HT has coded it ... it there to remind you NOT to shoot friendlies ... simple as that, nothing more, nothing less.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »
Don't shoot the greens!
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 01:19:31 PM »
I understand your quest for knowledge, but in the grand scheme of things ... what difference would it make ?

Killshooter ... as HT has coded it ... it there to remind you NOT to shoot friendlies ... simple as that, nothing more, nothing less.
(Using Slapshot as a generic post to respond to)

It really makes no difference, it is genuinely just out of curiosity. 

The original context (not the filmed re-creation I posted) was that some friends and I had just taken a Vbase, and I was sitting on the concrete waiting for the VH to pop before I towered out.  One of my buddies drove up in his Tiger -- and simply goofing off, having no other moving targets, and thinking no harm could come of it, I started shooting him with my pintle -- and found myself in the tower.

A hearty laugh was had by all, but it was contrary to my pre-conceived notion of the mechanics of killshooter -- hence my quest for truth.

Given HiTech's response, I think my quest just ended.   :lol

Pure boredom in certain situations . . . the ever present goof-off factor among friends . . . the obsessive-compulsive urge to touch a hot stove . . . lots of reasons.  :D

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 01:39:54 PM »

In the fun of things, I think it's a valid question.  I don't think its quite time to catch a ride on the Negative Nancy Express to Disappointment and Resentment Town
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 04:54:55 AM »
killshooter = saving a friendlys arse you dive in and fill the badguy with lead, one single solitary round manages to travel the mile separating you from you m8 and tags him and your tail falls off. and the shot to heck baddie whacks your bud and lands those two kills.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 06:14:33 AM »
1) On purpose, for the heck of it

2) You're closing in fast on an enemy, dead six. You're 400 away and just opened fire, but PHISHEEW! A friendly P-51 Zooms right in front of your guns, causing you to die from an accidental kill-shooter kill-shot!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok