Author Topic: New yoke mod  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: New yoke mod
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:19:47 PM »
I think you'd do better modding something up out of pipe. Pvc is inexpensive, andeasy to work with, and if you heat it you can shape it. (be careful!)  Copper would be easier to bend for the curved bits. Could probably mold it around a 5 gallon barrel to get the curves. However I would worry about it deforming/bending under pressure.

Then once you have the wheel shape you want, graft it onto an existing yoke, aka franken yoke it.  :)

To get really realistic looking is going to take some serious time, planning, and attention to detail.

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 10:53:12 AM »
Fill vinyl tubing with epoxy and bend to shape?
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Steering-Yoke-Armored-Vehicle-Part-AFV-Used_W0QQitemZ190045157650QQihZ009QQcategoryZ588QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Closest i could find. 

Your best bet is either to use copper, or maybe find a junk bicycle and chop it up. 

It looks like you'll need 5 parts. 
1 - The center hub.
2 - (2) Identical Lower Arms
2 - (2) Identical Upper Arms 

Drill out the center hub in 4 places, Drill out each lower arm towards the top for the uppers to slide into. 

Put them into place and weld, or braze.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
This looks to be the closest in shape, you could add the trigger and upper bars.  It might need some cleaning though, not sure what that white stuff is.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 04:12:12 AM »
I reckon the best bet would be to fabricate if from PCV conduit. It would come in all the sizes you will need to make a very respectable replica and the solvent cement is definitely strong enough to hold it together.
It would be light yet durable enough to transplant onto an existing sim yoke without putting undue stress on it.
You would need to get creative in putting the switches in, but it's still doable.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
The Dehavilland Beaver is similar and there are still plenty of them around.

http://www.dougronan.com/beaver_and_otter_parts.htm
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 09:01:11 PM »

If anybody has tube sizes, steel specs, od's, and so on, I think I can talk the shop into building me one or two (I work at a steel fabricator that has pipe benders, top notch welders, and a powdercoat booth where we spray black all of the time).  Worse case scenario it winds up on the wall of my office if it's too heavy to be practical. :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 09:33:58 PM »
Yokes are useless for aircombat games, they are not designed for the rapid movement compared to a joystick. If you fly Buffs might be a nice addon but not for fighters and ACM. Though you do fly a little buff of sorts so maybe it would work.  :P

Only Yoke to have is by PFC.  Plastic crap isn't worth wasting your time and money on.

http://www.flypfc.com/index.html

PFC Yoke,Steel Pedals and Dual Throttle Quadrant your looking at about $1,600 overkill for AH but great for FS.

<S>...-Gixer