Author Topic: Very Green and sooo lost  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Re: Very Green and sooo lost
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »
When you get online next, look for me (McWatt in-game) and I'll help you as far as I can.

<S> & have fun

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 06:26:57 PM »
I'm going to suggest something now that maybe not everyone will agree with...

If you're a WWII nut, or even vaguely familiar with the air war, and and there's a specific aircraft that you like, go for it. Don't worry about whats the best for beginners, what's fastest, what turns the tightest, what has the heaviest armament, etc.. Just fly the plane you like.
Flying Spitfires, Lavochkins, etc. at first is just going to handicap you and make it that much harder when you finally move on to the planes you really like. If you like, say, the P51, go for it, even though it's very tough to really fight in for beginners. I wish I would have just gone right to the 109 when I started instead of screwing around in 'teh bestest' planes for the first couple of months...

I heartily disagree. To think of a quick, perhaps cliche example, flying a good beginner plane is learning to walk, and flying a more difficult plane is walking a tightrope. Difficult planes simply require a better knowledge of this game's flight characteristics to enable the pilot to have any sort of success; you are walking the "tightrope", balancing on that fine line between combat performance in that aircraft, and loss of flight control.

Anybody would agree that learning to walk is a prerequisite for walking a tightrope- to saying anything else is silly. There's nothing to gain from trying to jump right on that tightrope...you simply do not have an understanding of balance yet.

Flying an easier plane is not going to teach you bad habits, it will teach you the physics of the game (the "balance" you need to even attempt that tightrope later).

Just my opinion.

Some good planes for starting off are the Spit VIII, Spit XVI, LA-7 (but please fight in it and not run from every fight you see)

When you start to understand the physics of the game world better, try new things.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 09:20:51 AM »
I have had a blast so far even though I am horrible, but I would really like to get some skills up so I can do more than crash and die, then I think I'd have more fun  :D plus I might be able to help out too.

Training Arena is a wonderful place to get some experience.  If you've made some friends within AH, ask them to come along.

I can so relate to you wanting to rack up some kills, and to accomplish something that helps your country's cause.

See if you can get your dive-bombing ship shape.  Once I joined the tool shedding crowd, the kills came as I improved generally all around.  I've never been a very good furballer.  But, if you take the time to get to know the guys who are defeating you, are well mannered, they'll help you.

Get the takeoff, landing, basic stuff down.  It'll come. 

Oh, make sure your joystick is calibrated.  It's tough enough without having to fight hardware weirdness.

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 10:28:59 PM »
Very Green and sooo lost, well that is not completely true.  I have perfected flying in a left handed circle and crashing.  Other than that I's lost. 

I can take off (by the grace of God) and flying around some in the training area but thats it.  I have not had one successful landing and can barely shoot down the plans flying around the training base. 

I was wondering if someone could just point out the basics to me or send me to a sight that can.  Most games have some kind of tutorial that can get you started but I did not see one for this. 

I can get my gear up and down, I know how to raise and lower my flaps but am not sure when to do so (I think they go down to land) and i can shoot my guns and cannons, and that is about it. 

Also I was wondering what is a good plane to learn in?  And should I go fighter/Attacker or bomber to start?

I have had a blast so far even though I am horrible, but I would really like to get some skills up so I can do more than crash and die, then I think I'd have more fun  :D plus I might be able to help out too.
when you want to land put throttle down all the way, line up with runway, if you are over 150 mph go up extremly quickly and and stall to get rid of extra speed. press g to put out landing gear and softly land on runway, but remember to use your rudder to steer :D
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:25 AM »
hmm better to use the technique explained in the "Airfield Landings" section of the trainers site. Almost everything you need is there so thats the best place to start. Be warned if you post a question to the forum you will usually get 20 different answers, including lots of bad or just plain wrong advice.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »
Cool name Keyser Soze :aok

I saw someone refer to you as "Ky" in this thread, either didn't get the name or didn't get the reference...

You might want to clarify that here on the board, you can spell it out in your signature or whatever, or you can even make a new board account with the full name (I am guessing you made an account with your in-game name which is not required).

That's just a helpful tip to avoid being called "Ky" :rofl :aok

Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.