Author Topic: The "falling leaf"  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: The "falling leaf"
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »
Falling Leaf. An aerobatic manœuvre of a purely spectacular variety. The aeroplane is first stalled and is then forced into a spin. As soon as the spin develops the controls are reversed so that a spin begins in the opposite direction.

The falling leaf term is also used to describe a series of alternating sideslips and again to describe the technique of 'walking or pedalling down' a stalled aircraft by picking up a dropping wing with opposite rudder and then leaving the rudder input in to drop the opposit wing, then reversing, and so on.

It's an aerobatic manoeuvre and is not generally taught to flight students.  It's not required for any rating other then an aerobatic rating.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 11:38:21 PM »
Thanks fellas for getting some info on this for me.

Traveler, I have also found similar descriptions as you describe. However your is the closest to what I think the move is. Where did you get the info..link?

I am beggining to get a picture of how this should be performed and also for how it can be used as a combat maneuver. I believe the Japs practiced as a way to control the stall in maximum performance maneuvers. I am not sure if it was an actual overshoot maneuver or not.

Crocket describes a similar move but not the same. I do this as well but it is always to the right..mostly but sometime to the left. This is a flat induduced stall maintained by oppisite rudder and tork of the engine. Not quite the same but close.

The other move I do close to it is the side slip scissor. Pulling hard rudder and oppposite aileron while reversing these two controls back and forth. This is not stick stirring as it might sound like it. It creates a false tracking for guns and can be converted into an overshoot if done with enough speed. It also masks your real speed somewhat and gives the impression of a slower plane when you are really going much faster.

I have semi perfected what I would call a "falling leaf reverse". It works best by going up vertically. But can be done in a dive. I put the nose up to a slight climb reducing throttle to create closure of the con behind me. I begin a turn to the right with hard right rudder and holding the turn and go up about 45 degrees. Bring the con in to a possible guns solution then power off stall nose up and begin the falling leaf. I feather the throttle on and off to keep speed and stall as described using the rudder to slip back and forth. If the bait works the con usually chops throttle to atleast get a tracking shot. When he goes by he is slow and I have enough speed to catch him on the wingover he has to do or be caught hanging on the prop.

My move is not really a falling leaf because I am doing it going up. But the maneuver uses the exact same technique of rudder control of the stall.

I also did the true falling leaf against a zeek in my 109. I had him slow....real slow on my six after a hard verticle break turn. I dragged him up then chopped on the top stall turn. That made if come over the top after me and not turn to me for guns. I nose down and around to the right with power off pulling hard up to stall then started the rudder work. He was nose down on me and he just flew right by and into my guns. Boooom.

It's a dicy move for sure but works like a charm if you are close and slow. It especially works on the best turning planes. The others just blow by and to verticle.

Film coming soon.

BadDuck sent me this video a stunt pilot. The commentator calls it a falling leaf
It's starts around 8.30 min mark

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/videos/view.php?v=24a4d8e5

Agent360

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 04:23:14 PM »
Thanks fellas for getting some info on this for me.

Traveler, I have also found similar descriptions as you describe. However your is the closest to what I think the move is. Where did you get the info..link?

My Dad flew P47's and P51's in WWII,  He didn't like the idea that the FAA gave me a license with out me ever have to actually spin. So he taught me how to spin in an old J3 Cub and Scared the daylights out of me but taught me how to spin, left, right, rightside up and upside down, inverted, flat and fully developed.   Then he borrowed a friends T6 and taught me all over again. One of the things he taught me was the falling leaf, both versions.   I was 17 and thought I was hot stuff, man did he teach me a lesson.  He never talked much about combat flying except that speed was life.  He actually played AirWarrior a few times, when visiting he'd use my account.  Even played Aces High a few times.  He thought the P47D model was pretty close.    He went in his sleep a few years back

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes