Author Topic: Landing Procedures of WW2  (Read 856 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Re: Landing Procedures of WW2
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »
It's also a very efficient way to get 4 or more airplanes down in short order.

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 07:26:19 PM »
It's also a very efficient way to get 4 or more airplanes down in short order.

We in the 80th can put an almost endless number of planes down on the runway in under a minute. sometimes (most of the time) we don't even bother with the runway.

And Ded, don't worry about it landing gear is for sissy's.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 01:54:10 AM »
Just remember. P38 drivers do it better :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 02:08:32 AM »
What was the purpose of this landing tactic?

In general to quickly get a large number of aircraft on the ground using the least amount of airspace and time.

In particular the low pass at 300IAS was for fun and to impress the Red Cross girls.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 04:32:31 AM »
Good documentation, and at least an intelligent thread after the moltitude of silly inquiring of "how many kills first of" thread, dropped by pleasure seekers with the only final intent to declare to the community "my record was a zillion kills before first death .... and yours??"  :D

As I said, finally some good posts on historical argument, like we had in past times.

And not to be argumentative ( but I know I'll be  :P)  how many here are REALLY interested in landings??

I have a feeling that despite some of us that use this simulation to recreate some ambience of WWII (even in cartoon planes...ok :D), a good number don't even care about landings; they seems to be interested in a merry go round  furball till they end killed, or they are out of ammo; and when the ammos are out they auger to save time, they go to tower and quickly reup (rigorously with auto-take off on.. :P) asking themself why in hell  isn't there a "start at 5k with eng on" option to save time.

How many?? :noid
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 04:56:50 AM »
 :salute Stegor

You said it all. I have been with AH for a year and half and I have seen more of that type of attitude lately.

If you're going to take off, you need to land it. One thing I think takes away from the spirit of the game is when Buff pilots bail after a run just to up again right away.

This is one of the more informative threads I have seen in here in a long time. It's good to see some people care about fundamentals still. :salute

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 05:08:30 AM »
What was the purpose of this landing tactic?
the hard break also means that you keep plenty of E right up to the very last minute, just in case you have to blow through and carry on fighting. a civilian type pattern where you gradually dump your E on approach makes you a sitting duck from miles out of the field on your approach. :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 05:13:10 AM »
Kind of strange to see lead cross in front of #2 during the chandelle--I'd think an echelon right formation (instead of a finger-four) going into a left-hand break would be more ideal.

its a variation of a tac turn, but the idea is to end up with the ac staggered for landing not back in formation
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli