Author Topic: Blackouts  (Read 169 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Blackouts
« on: September 29, 1999, 08:54:00 PM »
I like the tunnel vision blackout, but it seems like its too quick to go into blackout.
It seems hard to do any turning at all without blacking out, from all my reading, I dont remember where it was this bad in real life.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
Blackouts
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 1999, 11:56:00 PM »
Keep one eye on your g-meter and you'll realize why your blacking out.  These planes seem h-e-a-v-y (or maybe the other game improperly allows more 'g freedom')  

------------------
Lt. Jg. Windle
VF-17 'The Jolly Rogers' 8X

Skychrgr@aol.com  

foxboy

Blackouts
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 1999, 05:43:00 AM »
Man! Blacking out with 5-6 G's is ridiculous!
I flew Sailplanes (Gliders) for a while, and even in an aerobatic one. You won't black out even at 6 G's. 7 G's ist the limit, but it depends on the time you pull. Pull fast into 7 G's and hold it long enough, and you'll see nothing more. Go slowly into 7 G's and not so long, and you won't black out at all!

This feature MUST be altered. It hinders the joyful gameplay.

ok, Foxboy out

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Blackouts
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 1999, 11:09:00 AM »
I agree, the blackout onset seems way too fast. One second you're flying along fully alert then a split second later you're unconscious. WB's has this problem as well. Falcon 4.0 has a nice blackout model where the onset is slower and pilot fatigue is also factored in. Maybe G suits should be a hanger option.    

[This message has been edited by blur (edited 09-30-1999).]

[This message has been edited by blur (edited 09-30-1999).]

Offline Bohica

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.concentric.net/~weingram
Blackouts
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 1999, 07:40:00 AM »
I do agree.  Looking at my G meter in the p51 last night it seams that the initial onset is about 4.7 Gs.  That is way to low, I would agree that initial onset should be higher, up around 5.5-6 Gs, and rate of onset should be effected by how fast you enter the load...

I also think that the aircraft doesn't accelerate well enough going down hill.  Not sure why, but going 4000 feet a min down hill wide open throttle and the aircraft ist still dogging past 250 mph....

Hmmm.  Its early yet.  I have years of patience <G>

------------------
Bohica
900th Jaguars

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Blackouts
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 1999, 06:18:00 PM »
4.5 is way too low, I agree.  However, I don't agree that how fast you pull the G's should affect how bad the blackout is.  It should be a combination of how many G's you pull and how long you pull them.  

I know a fellow who was a backseater in F-15E's.  On one flight the terrain following system farted and they briefly and suddenly pulled 13 G's.  Neither of them blacked out, but they did RTB.

--ra--

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
Blackouts
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 1999, 12:40:00 AM »
I believe 13 G's was the maximum force achieved in the F4U Corsair during testing (not intentionally).  The pilot somehow ended up in an ultra hi-G situation and after rtb'ing checked his test equipment shocked him with its readings. To boot, I don't believe the airframe suffered any damage.  The P-51 OTOH ended up with pranged wings after being exposed to ultra high G-forces.

------------------
Lt. Jg. Windle
VF-17 'The Jolly Rogers' 8X

Skychrgr@aol.com  

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
Blackouts
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 1999, 12:45:00 AM »
Yes, Blackout onset is way to early.  Needs a fix here.

Cabby

------------------
cabby ++44th SOS++
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"