Author Topic: Negative AoA in FM  (Read 105 times)

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Negative AoA in FM
« on: January 14, 2000, 12:01:00 PM »
I've noticed that the FM is like WB's in that  the wing produces the same lift inverted as it does right side up.  Here in AH this appears to be compensated by limiting down travel on the elevator, so you can't use the downward lift vector to induce a sudden warp like dweebs do in WB.

Why can't we just have a realistic inverted flight model?  The FM must be calculating lift as a function of AoA and speed.  Can't the lift equation be modified so as to calculate a lower lift coefficient for a given speed/AoA when the AoA is negative?  The FM already knows when the AoA is negative because the accellerometer reflects it.  This way we could have our down elevator travel restored without the unrealistic pushovers WB has.

This is not a trivial FM issue.  You will notice on takeoff that if you shove the stick forward the tail won't fly until you reach about 80-90 mph.  Many planes like the Spit could raise the tail almost from the start, so limited down elevator affects takeoff performance, which may be significant when HTC adds carrier ops.  More importantly, there are times during a stallfight when you want to push forward to get the hell out, but the restricted elevator responds so weakly that the nose is reluctant to start down.

Comments please?

--ra--

PS: I know this is only beta, but I wanted to be sure this issue was on the table.

[This message has been edited by ra (edited 01-14-2000).]