Author Topic: Design Lift Coefficient for Specific Flight Conditions  (Read 626 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Re: Design Lift Coefficient for Specific Flight Conditions
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 04:06:43 PM »
However, I'm wondering a bit your aproach because apparently you have allready selected the wing profile. Normal way is to determine general layout of the plane and assumed Cl range first and choose profile and fine tune the layout based on that.

Well, this is my math used to determine the design lift coefficient.  If I can determine the highest and lowest values needed during a lap, it will guide my selection.  I haven't determined the airfoil to use yet--I'm still testing my choices.  But, regardless of the airfoil, the design lift coefficient will be the same.  I'm actually still changing the airfoil and mean lines to see which one will be the best compromise between the straight flight and turns.

I already know how much area the wing will have, the aspect ratio, the approximate weight of the aircraft, etc.  My question was to check and see if I had missed anything in making my determination, especially for the lift coefficient necessary during the turn.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech